Thread: V Carve tooling database?

V Carve tooling database?

Does anyone have a source for tool database for v carve?

Just bought a point cut round over bit and would like to be able to demo the tool path before just sending it.

I have seen on the woodcraft site they have some Vectric files for specific tooling but those links don't go anywhere.

I would also be nice have a base for starting on the feeds and speeds.

Very new to all of this so any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Some tooling manufacturers like Amana have importable tool databases for a large part of their offerings. You can download the Amana file from the ToolsToday web site. It can even serve for creating entries for tools from other sources that are similar in metrics since you can copy and customize a tool.

Form tools, like the point roundover you mention, you may need to "roll your own" tool library entry. I had to do that for mine. Just draw the profile out in the Vectric software for the required entry...it's easy for a roundover since you know the radius, etc.

Speeds and feeds are not something that's universal...your specific machine's capabilities are going to come into play. Many of the published speeds and feeds for tooling "assume" big iron, too. So for a smaller or really small machine, you need to cut things down significantly and "use math" and chip load calculations to arrive at what's best for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here is Mark Lindsay's youtube video on adding a point round over bit to the tool database. I believe that he links to a previous video where he shows what Jim is talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42v6KC4UPAg
    Grant
    Ottawa ON