Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Sawstop 3HP PCS or a used 5HP ICS?

Thanks for all the input! I just checked the arbor on the used ICS and it was probably .0005-.001". The needle just flickered.

Also, I might be able to get it for $2000 as the guy seems to just want to unload it.

My circuit breaker is a 30amp.

I'm still going back and forth. With the new saw I buy piece of mind, with the used saw, I can possibly save $1300 and get a beefier saw. I have to decide by this afternoon if I want to take advantage of the SS promotion of the dust collection or mobile base

I have machines dating back to the 1930s and all will be alive when the new stuff dies. Go for the better build if condition is good. No comparison between ICS and PCS but only you know what your needs are. Dave

Blog Entries
    For $2000, I'd go for the ICS. Resale value on SawStop is generally quite high.

I have an old ICS 5 hp. I don't think you will be unhappy. If it ran, get it. The electronics won't allow the saw to run if it wasn't 100%. You checked the runout. Use the saved monies to buy some blades and dust collection. If it's old, dust collection is not the best. Well, non existent above the blade for me.
    I'm going to assume that if the guy ran a good shop, the machine would NOT have been abused. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. Down time is lost money.

Just my $0.02.

Runout of .0005" is nothing.

$1300 will buy you a lot of mobile bases, dust collection, premium sawblades, and still leave you with lots of dough left for wood.

for $2000 - ICS everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I have a new PCS, but given that I could buy an ICS for $2k, I'd trade you for it. That is a great deal! As others have said, the machine will not run unless the electronics are all working properly and the mass of the heavier cabinet will make it vibration free. You could even cut down the fence to make it a 36" or put in a router table on that side. The assembly on my PCS was an all day thing. The 5hp alone would be worth the upgrade, but for $1300 cheaper and maybe no sales tax?!

You could likely buy it, shine it up and then resell it on CL for $3k, as they hardly ever come up. Run, don't walk.

Again thanks to everyone for the input. In the end I got royally screwed by the seller. The saw sat unused for 2 years with the brake activated. I negotiated with the guy that I'd buy the new brake (if he reimbursed me, which he did), get it running, and check the arbor. If it checked out ok, I had the first option to buy it. I got it running , fixed the bent door latch, and even cleaned up some splattered paint with acetone. We agreed to a price of $2300 since I did the work to make sure it was working properly, I just had to return with my truck to pick it up at 3pm with tools to break it down for transport. When I returned with my truck, he was gone. His employees were there and said he'd return. I waited a while before he called me. The short of it, he said he was going to hold onto the saw because he forgot he had promised it to one of his long time customers. I couldn't f'n believe it . I tried to stay calm and let him know that it wasn't cool that he was screwing me. He apologized...yadda yadda yadda.

I left, went straight to Woodcraft and bought the 3HP PCS (today was the last day of their promotion). Done deal! I get a new saw and peace of mind that comes in perfect condition with a warranty. To be honest, I was so peeved with the whole situation that I didnt even feel that excitement of buying a new saw. I'm picking it up this weekend and I'm sure I'll be over this whole situation and stoked on the new saw by then.

Thanks again!

That sux big time. You should have taken your brake module while you were there.

Based on that info and price, I'd go this route too if you have the power capacity in place. That is a much bigger difference in price and you've now confirmed most of the concern items with your measurements. Regards.

EDIT: Well, I wrote too soon. Just read your last comment and see what happened. That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Some people just are not honorable in this world. Things happen for a reason and I'm sure the new saw will be a joy to own as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Garcia View Post
    Thanks for all the input! I just checked the arbor on the used ICS and it was probably .0005-.001". The needle just flickered.

Also, I might be able to get it for $2000 as the guy seems to just want to unload it.

My circuit breaker is a 30amp.

I'm still going back and forth. With the new saw I buy piece of mind, with the used saw, I can possibly save $1300 and get a beefier saw. I have to decide by this afternoon if I want to take advantage of the SS promotion of the dust collection or mobile base
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 05-01-2020 at 9:43 AM.

I'm sorry the guy stiffed you. I had a similar thing happen to me on a large drum sander. I went to the guys place, checked it out, and paid him in cash. Took a picture of him holding the cash. Then went and rented a truck with a lift gate to pick it up.

When I got back the guy said he had changed his mind and backed out on the deal. Gave me my money back but I was out about $100 for the truck rental.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-01-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I had a guy do a very simular thing to me with a Martin shaper a few years back.

Unlike you I actually totally lost my shit on him.

What he did was just so dishonest, I have zero tolerance for people that just care of me myself and I. When they do I just can’t help but tell them how big a pos they are. Doesn’t do me any good but I’m pretty passionate that people that suck and are shitty need to suffer the way they make others suffer and not be let off the hook.

Some people let shit go. Not me not so much.

Enjoy the saw. I purchased a used ics years ago in simular condition to the one you got screwed on. It’s been a great saw. For me I could use more Hp and a bigger blade. But that’s not the norm for most. You will enjoy the “New” saw!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Garcia View Post
    Again thanks to everyone for the input. In the end I got royally screwed by the seller. The saw sat unused for 2 years with the brake activated. I negotiated with the guy that I'd buy the new brake (if he reimbursed me, which he did), get it running, and check the arbor. If it checked out ok, I had the first option to buy it. I got it running , fixed the bent door latch, and even cleaned up some splattered paint with acetone. We agreed to a price of $2300 since I did the work to make sure it was working properly, I just had to return with my truck to pick it up at 3pm with tools to break it down for transport. When I returned with my truck, he was gone. His employees were there and said he'd return. I waited a while before he called me. The short of it, he said he was going to hold onto the saw because he forgot he had promised it to one of his long time customers. I couldn't f'n believe it . I tried to stay calm and let him know that it wasn't cool that he was screwing me. He apologized...yadda yadda yadda.

I left, went straight to Woodcraft and bought the 3HP PCS (today was the last day of their promotion). Done deal! I get a new saw and peace of mind that comes in perfect condition with a warranty. To be honest, I was so peeved with the whole situation that I didnt even feel that excitement of buying a new saw. I'm picking it up this weekend and I'm sure I'll be over this whole situation and stoked on the new saw by then.

Thanks again!

Wow, that really sucks! You should send him a repair bill for your time & the repairs, then small claims court.

Sorry to hear what happened but there's something to be learned from the experience. Many of us including myself have received the short end of a deal. My last experience involved an auction transaction that was actually paid for but the seller (through an auction house) refunded my credit card purchase without my knowledge. This was one I wasn't about to let go. Resolution is currently before a small claims court. It should be interesting how it will turn out. On the brighter side of your situation you will have a new saw that I'm sure will bring you a lot of enjoyment. Don't let the experience from an unscrupulous seller ruin it.

What a bummer that is! As someone said you should have taken the brake cartridge with you. I had a similar deal from someone her a few years ago. They'd listed a stationary disc sander here and it was close enough to go get. I messaged about it a couple times. Then the next message it's sold to someone else. Really??? Someone that was picking up some other things bought it. He couldn't remember if he had promised it to them. Money makes peoples memory do funny things. In general 99% of the people here are great guys. I found the one that wasn't. It obviously sounds like his "good customer" offered more money. Hope the new saw is a joy to use.

It's no wonder that snake went out of business, huh? Bet he overpromised and underdelivered on a regular basis. You'll enjoy your new saw. Don't be bothered by what happened. It's all on him, not you.