Thread: Durable QUICK finish for spindle turning

Durable QUICK finish for spindle turning

I've been trying to turn handles for taps, ice cream scoops, pizza cutters, etc. for awhile now. I need a finish for these high use applications that I can put on quick, looks good, and is durable. I've messed with super glue, spray poly, and the beale system. What do you do? I need application tips, times between coats, number of coats, etc. Trying to get into the festival circuit and need to maximize time per piece while maintaining integrity above all. Thanks!

For small diameter spindles that needs to be durable, I'd suggest learning how to use CA (superglue).

I have used regular viscosity CA on pens and end up with an indestructible finish, with a great gloss and perhaps less than 5 minutes elapsed time.

As an alternative, especially if you might be doing dozens and dozens at a time would be to use spray lacquer (what is used for nearly all furniture). It isn't as durable as CA but you could spray a couple dozen in a couple minutes.

If you have had only mediocre results with CA, then perhaps your technique needs some fine tuning.

If you have the equipment, sprayed post-cat lacquer is very fast and very durable. Otherwise, CA is likely the way to go. Since you've already tried it, you know its pros and cons. If you stick with it, apply several coats. I did a lot of pens early in my illustrious career with CA, but not enough coats. They have all worn off in time.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON