Thread: Masterclass on Windsor chair construction

Smile Masterclass on Windsor chair construction

Excuse me if it is known by most of you but I am amazed with this series I discovered today by accident.

This gentlemen is simply one of the best combination I found with skills and didactics. He shows step by step how and why everything in the process as well some interesting historic aspects. I can imagine a few jigs mainly to work the angles for drilling...

Windsor chair wasnīt even one of my top interest but I spent a few hours with this series as I couldnīt stop. My hats off to Mr. Dunbar with my deepest respect.

https://youtu.be/K6Kzd_AqiBA

I hope you enjoy the series like myself!

Stay safe.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 05-05-2020 at 7:19 PM.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

I have not.....thanks for the suggestions!

You may want to watch the start to finish videos by Curtis Buchanan where he builds a comb back Windsor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej4D...mBHEWgiZAl37lx

Left click my name for homepage link.

Plus one on Buchanon!
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I read Dunbar's book. He's great. He's got strong opinions but there are so many little nuggets of wisdom in that book (and I'm sure his videos; I've only watched a couple).

I have watched more of Curtiss Buchanan's videos. He has such a casual, aw-shucks approach, and yet turns out such amazing work. His website also has a lot of full scale drawings available for a modest price.

Peter Galbert's blog is also worth a look. He's got a lot of modern techniques that can be helpful if you wish to develop a more hybrid style.

There is also Elia Bizarri who not only offers classes and instructional stuff on his site, he also sells parts so if you don't have access to riven wood, or want to buy some great tools (Galbert sells some too) he's a great resoruce.

I'm only naming 4 but there are MANY more. As a group they're as supportive and generous as the Turners on SMC!

I've always liked reading articles about Dunbar. He does fine work. One thing that I think doesn't get mentioned enuff
    as how fast they made them in the early 19th century . They really cranked the stuff out ! Won't quote any numbers
    since I can't remember them. And sometime they outsourced some pieces. Look them up. I think those guys would have found the modern masters way too slow and
    re-hired a brother in law.