Thread: Powermatic 8" jointer

Powermatic 8" jointer

I was talking with a coworker last week and he said his father has a PM 60 8" jointer that hasn't been used in years. It's about 300 miles away and in a basement so I would have to deal with that if I was to buy it. I haven't seen any pictures yet but I'm told that it's in great shape. No rust on it at all. He said it's the gold model, maybe made in 1985, with a 1 1/2 hp single phase motor. I was trying to find information on it and it seams that since Powermatic has made them for decades specs have changed. Since it's far away I'm kind of committed to buying it before I go down (it'll be an all day event).

So my questions are: 1) when did Powermatic shift from making them in the US to Taiwan (would this be US made)? Are the US made ones tables for the most part flat or will it be like an Asian made tool where some are better than others? How long are the tables? Best I can find researching is that at some point in time they went from 65" to 72" in total length but I don't know when. Over all is this a good jointer? Any other opinions? I haven't talked price yet but while researching I've seen some go for as cheap as $500 for one in ok shape to $1200. If it's a US made machine, in good shape, and generally a good jointer (and it sounds like his father could use the money) I'm not going to try and get it for the lowest price possible.

If i did buy it I assume I'll have to break it down to remove it from the basement. The motor, base, and fence seam easy enough but what about the jointer itself? It seams natural to carry it by the in feed/ out feed tables but will that put too much stress on the dovetail joints? Would removing the in feed/ out feed tables require a lot of work? I plan on doing a full set up once I have it but will removing the tables make it a lot harder? How heavy is the jointer without the motor/ base/ fence? If I can slide it in the back of the wife's Rav4 (close to 30 mpg vs my truck's 15 mpg and not having to worry about the weather) it would make the trip much easier.

On a side note, how do you do a search with more than one word? If I search for powermatic model 60 I get threads that have just one of the 3 words.

To search for more than one word, enclose the string (all words) in quotes.

So type "Powermatic Model 60" in the search bar vs. Powermatic Model 60.

Capture your search phrase with double quotes, e.g., "powermatic model 60". The problem with such a specific search, however, is your match has to be exact. If you search "powermatic model 60" you get no hits presumably because of the word "model". If you remove "model" you find several hits for "powermatic 60"

Sounds like a good and lucky find to me! Never a good idea to lift a jointer by the tables. I would ask him to send a photo of the nameplate; with the exact model and serial numbers you will be able to look up all the specs. You will most likely need to remove the tables to get it out a basement. It's only difficult because of their weight and odd shape which makes them tricky to rig with lifting straps. This would not be easy to do for one person. A shop crane or engine hoist would be helpful. This is not the kind of thing you can strap to a dolly and pull it up the stairs by yourself. Find out if the stairs are a straight shot. IIWM, I'd take the truck.

You can search more productively by using google to search the site. Simply enter (into google search) your search term followed by "site:sawmillcreek.org" (without the quotes) When using google, you can enclose a phrase in quotes to force a search for the whole phrase.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

A few google results. They say the tables lift up and over the cutter head. My 8" delta the tables go down and just keep going down all the way until they fall off. At least for the infeed table. I never took the outfeed all the way off.
    Bil lD.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...c.html?page=27

http://www.briancnc.com/projects/too...r-restoration/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-29-2020 at 5:31 PM.

I can’t help with your specific questions. Especially not knowing a price for comparison.

I will say for the purpose of comparison I have been very happy with my Grizzly 8” parallelogram jointer with helical head. I did not have to drive far to pick it up at the local freight terminal and they put it in the back of my van with a forklift. BUT it cost more than you will pay for the one in question.

All choices are a compromise. You are probably talking ten hours driving time, the effort to get it out of the basement and into your vehicle, and so on. For me to do that it would have to be a killer deal.

Perhaps you should suggest you coworker’s dad put the jointer on Craig’s list...and save your efforts for a 12” jointer opportunity. Wish I had a 12 incher! Or more...

I do understand these thoughts are irrelevant to your question. Sorry.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Figure out his asking price,then compare to new. If the deal is good go on a road trip. That Powermatic will be as good or better than new machines currently available.Price is key ,you have to know what stuff is worth new and used where you live.

They’re good jointers, but this thread is a bit pointless without a price. If he’s asking $1200, walk away. Make him come up with a price first.

I did a quick Google search and you can get a brand new Powermatic 60C 8" jointer for $1,700 + tax, delivered to your door, with a 5 year warranty. It'll come with sharp blades, no cobwebs, mice nests or rust. Just saying....

Or possibly save $1,000 an put in a little work.

Make sure it has the center mount fence. The old style side mount is a pain to adjust.
    Bill D

I should know more this weekend. It would only be of interest if it was a US made machine. As others have said I can get a brand new Taiwanese made one with a 5 year warranty for not too much more than what this one would cost once I figure in all the costs involved. Of course if I go new I'll probably go with a parallelogram jointer to make setting it up easier.

99% chance its USA made but Powermatic did do some (not all) production in Taiwan beginning in the early mid-80s, then apparently brought that back to USA until finally sending everything overseas.

I have never seen anything definitive on which models/years this affected, but I'd say its a possibility for an '85 PM60. Best way to tell is to ask the owner to give you a pic of the serial number plate. If it just mentions McMinville, TN then you're good to go.

I used to have a Model 60, purchased new in 2004. It was a great machine. I've seen lots of older PM stuff from the 80s and before in high school wood shops still going strong. If it works and has no rust, I'd take it for $600 or $700, which will be more than they paid for it.

I never tried taking the tables off, but the motor is easy to take out, along with the fence. That will save you a significant amount of weight.