Thread: an expletive free glue up

an expletive free glue up

Glued up a book case yesterday. 3 degree angle bottom to top on sides and front to back with six shelves. Kind of like Laurel & Hardy movies trying to line up all the biscuits from each shelf with both sides and getting them to stay together as we moved from bottom to top. Too tight and the next shelf would not go in, to loose and all the shelves fall out! I enlisted the help of a 2nd pair of hands, my wife. All this within the working time of Titebpnd 3. I did not have hide glue in house. All done without uttering the F bomb once. I'm so proud of myself.

Thanks.

Brian

Glad to hear it went well. When I glue up bookcases I lay one side across sawhorses so the shelves are standing on their own as I assemble it and leave it there to clamp.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I haven't asked my wife to help in the shop for the last 40 years. It did not go well way back when. Something about the tone of my voice. In the voice of George Thorogood, "I work alone....."

Blog Entries
    Kudos Brian. I do a full dry run for complex glue-up / clamp-ups. When I take it back apart the clamps all get set down right where I will need them when I apply glue and reverse . . . er . . . the reverse process . I too feel a great burden lifted from my shoulders when the clamps are on and everything checks square. Congrats.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Is it an outdoor bookcase? Or TB3 for open time?

I thought the expletive free glue-up was just a myth...

'Video ... or didn't happen ...'

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I haven't asked my wife to help in the shop for the last 40 years. It did not go well way back when. Something about the tone of my voice. In the voice of George Thorogood, "I work alone....."
    Ha, ha ,ha. I have run into that too. Something about talking to them like they were a fellow worker seems to trip their trigger!

Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post

LOL - my thought exactly. If it weren't for glue ups I would have no where to use all the wonderful says I learned from my Grandfather while he worked on his Studebaker pickup truck.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I had to get some help from my wife.normally doesn’t go well but this time I was as nice as could be.being quarantined I had no choice.i could have not done it myself.she stuck with me 41 years.glue ups suck all your work comes down to 10 minutes to make sure all is right and square.glad all went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Glad to hear it went well. When I glue up bookcases I lay one side across sawhorses so the shelves are standing on their own as I assemble it and leave it there to clamp.

Steve, I had it on my 8 x 4 assembly table and still a Chinese fire drill. thanks brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Is it an outdoor bookcase? Or TB3 for open time?

just open time

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post

thanks for the chuckle