Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess people collect vises and anvils

Blog Entries

I guess people collect vises and anvils

I was looking through Craigslist tools and saw an ad for about 30 vices and several anvils. The vises start at $100.
    I don't know anything about anvils but the price of two of them was $900 and $850!
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Been over dosing on YouTube for the last month. I did watch a few anvil and vise restorations. A popular machinist Adam Booth (Abom79)does like his old vises. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRq4Z3K0w4g

And the Essential Craftsman (looks like a banker but is a contractor building a house, one video at a time) loves his blacksmithing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJF52_4noZE
    NOW you tell me...

" ]I was looking through Craigslist tools and saw an ad for about 30 vices and several anvils. . . "

There are ads there for vices too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    " ]

There are ads there for vices too.

I see what you did there!

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have read that when Sherman went through the South during the Civil War, he had his troops throw all the anvils they found into the swamps and rivers. The idea being, it would cripple the South's war efforts by limiting the manufacture and repair of needed hardware and arms. Thus, the scarcity of anvils.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

The price of anvils has quadrupled in the last several years.

Go try and buy a good quality new anvil or vise. Used still seem cheap.

Blog Entries
    A good anvil is not going to be inexpensive unless you are lucky at a yard/estate sale.

A good vise is a similar investment.

My father gave me his Parker #106 vise. It was used in his business for years:

Parker Vise.jpg

Many of my childhood memories are of times spent using and 'playing' with this vise.

From searching the internet, information indicates the design of the 'nose' was changed from a ball to a cylinder in 1936. So this year it is at least 84 years old.

From the 1912 catalog > https://archive.org/details/CharlesP...ch/vise?q=vise < the weight is ~80 pounds.

It is mounted with 5/8" bolts. The front of the bench had to have an angled mortise to hold this vise because of how the lower casting is done.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I attended an estate auction many years ago that was primarily tools. The old boy had been collecting for decades and I picked up some exceptional deals on a Starrett combination square/protractor set and some Millers Falls planes. He had an anvil that was in the 150 pound range. I was hopeful to take it home. Seems to me the bidding started at about $300 and escalated rapidly. There's an Antique store in Walnut Iowa that had a whole batch of anvils when we passed through about 5 years ago. Seems to me they started at $4 per pound then. I had no idea.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Keep in mind that the market for things like anvils isn't all that large anymore....anyone producing them is going to be addressing a specialized market and the costs will be commensurate with having a small audience for something of quality. So finding a stash of "antique" or at least used ones could be a nice opportunity.

Some forms of older vices really hold their value, too...and some sellers may not know what they have if there's something desirable in the pile.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For a mind blowing experience look for "Wilton" machinist vices, specifically the "bullet models" and look at the prices being asked.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-29-2020 at 5:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    For a mind blowing experience look for "Wilton" machinist vices, specifically the "bullet models" and look at the prices being asked.
    Bill D.
    A new 5" Wilton bullet vise is well over 1k.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    A new 5" Wilton bullet vise is well over 1k.
    Woah!

and 10 characters.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Woah!

and 10 characters.
    My basic Kurt DX6 for my mill was 550 bucks. I consider that a pretty good deal really.

Blog Entries
    Given the volatility in the stock market maybe I should be investing in vices and anvils
    Dennis