Thread: When Working Gets Super Geeky

When Working Gets Super Geeky

https://youtu.be/EEh01PX-q9I

This is my new favorite YouTuber. I've been in the field for a while and it's not too often I learn something completely new to me. Only the real geeks out their will be able to sit through the entire thing, but there is useful information to be gleaned.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting the link Johnny. I've dabbled in speaker construction a little so this was very interesting to me. He explains things very well.

Yeah, he is real geeky, and yes, he does a good job of explaining stuff. But he's fighting a battle which was over long ago. He believes that loudspeakers should be efficient. Back when we had 6 watt amplifiers, efficiency was a real issue. Nowadays amps put out a lot more power. Speaker efficiency no longer matters. Build a box, fill it with damping material to absorb all of the sound from the back of the speaker, and you're done. He sorta mentions this as a design approach at minute 8 or so, immediately dismisses it, and then goes on for an hour chasing efficiency.

Ahem... I've been building speakers and amps for 50 years, and I can assure you there's a LOT more to it than stuffing a box....
    - and BTW - the Voigt quarter wave pipe has been around for close to 70 years... there's pro's and con's with everything----

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halgeir Wold View Post
    Ahem... I've been building speakers and amps for 50 years, and I can assure you there's a LOT more to it than stuffing a box....
    So true. The more you learn about speaker design & construction, the more you realize how much there is to learn. And efficiency still is a big deal, especially when you're dealing with subs. Takes a LOT of power to make the earth shake.

Not speakers, but this guy is the one all the rest of the youtube machinist call when they need help. Check this video where he is making cages for ball bearings for his surface grinder. Around the 19 min. mark he starts into the calculations of how much a 5/8" steel ball bearing deforms under load. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrFG8X7w8yQ. Really interesting but most o his stuff is ay above me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Yeah, he is real geeky, and yes, he does a good job of explaining stuff. But he's fighting a battle which was over long ago. He believes that loudspeakers should be efficient. Back when we had 6 watt amplifiers, efficiency was a real issue. Nowadays amps put out a lot more power. Speaker efficiency no longer matters. Build a box, fill it with damping material to absorb all of the sound from the back of the speaker, and you're done. He sorta mentions this as a design approach at minute 8 or so, immediately dismisses it, and then goes on for an hour chasing efficiency.
    Okay, so I'm an ancient geek running a pair of Lascala's.

In my opinion efficiency is very important for dynamic range.

Regrds, Rod.

Never mind.... most of us are ancient in most respects anyway...

I was actually less interested in the speaker design and more interested in the acoustic properties of different materials.

Very interesting watch! That was pretty cool!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I was actually less interested in the speaker design and more interested in the acoustic properties of different materials.
    He has the best explanation of how a visco-elastic layer, such as Green Glue, affects sound transmission that I've heard.