Thread: Plastic Wood Sheets

Plastic Wood Sheets

I’m looking for recommendations on what type of plastic wood to use for outdoor furniture. I know Azek and PVC sheets are both available, but expensive.

What materials are folks using for Adirondack chairs, tables and other furniture.

I also welcome any suggestions for plan collection recommendations. I’m looking at designs from https://etsy.me/2ShVNtq.

Thanks,
    Toby

I am using his plans for the grandather style adirondack chair. Digital patterns worked well with vcarve and shopbot. I have all components cut but havent assembled yet. I have quite a bit of thick paulownia that I am using. Good luck. Not sure where to get the thick shhet material or its price

There isn't really any good way to get beyond the cost of the man-made materials...if you want the potential maintenance and longevity benefits, the trade-off is cost.

That said, you need to build projects like you describe with material that's structurally sound for that kind of purpose. Most PVC, etc., is more aimed at well supported architectural trim applications or signage...applications that don't have to support weight. There are recycled plastic products available that are specifically designed for building stuff like this, but it's not generally available in sheet form as would be desired for CNC machining. Any that I've seen has been in extruded "lumber" sizes. If anyone has found otherwise, I hope they post sources for the same.

BTW, "movement" is also something that has to be taken into consideration just as with wood, but some man-made materials expand and contract in larger increments than most wood products. Azek is well known for this problem...I have Azek caps over the intersection of frame walls and block foundation on part of our home addition and the expansion/contraction has wreaked havoc at the mitered corners.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-29-2020 at 9:18 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To expand on what Jim said a bit you want to remember that pretty much no composite decking or PVC sheet is rated to support even its own weight over much more than a 16" span. PVC is rated for zero, it must be supported by structural member of some sort. With that, there are a lot of places making outdoor furniture out of composite decking, 5/4 x 6 and 2X material. The furniture is insanely heavy, and the material and fastener costs get spendy. Also remember that this material doesnt hold fasteners exceptionally well so that can be an issue.

Sheet material would be Azek, Royal, and so on but as youve found its usually stocked in 3/4" sheets only and can run around 80-100 a sheet. Composite decking pricing is all over the place.

Another option would be King Starboard but then your up in the 250+ per sheet range and again no structural rating what so ever.

Like Jim mentioned, there really isnt a good all around option for plastic.

I believe King Starboard is one of the better options. Not cheap, but none are. The 3/4" sheets I have bought are around $500 ea in small quantities from a wholesaler. This is a pay now pay later type question.
    https://www.kingplastic.com/products/king-starboard/

I keep several sheets of King Color Core in my shop inventory. The area where I live has water everywhere so there are lots of boats and marine services and color core is perfect for exterior signs for boats and around salt water. I know its available in quarter, half and three quarter inch thicknesses.

I would also look at the offerings at Costco. They make some nice plastic furniture and at their scale they can make them more cost effective than we ever can.

thanks guys. Based on this, I may stick to wood.