Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to undercut a French pocket door while it is hanging?

Question How to undercut a French pocket door while it is hanging?

I have a set of paint grade french doors on pocket door hardware that cannot be removed without breaking into the wall. I need to trim 1/2" off the bottom of each door to make room for a different floor finish. The only idea I have come up with so far is to build some sort of custom blocking arrangement that could guide a handsaw so it tracks straight and I am not sure if this would work.

Any creative ideas on how you would make this cut?

Oscillating saw (Fein multitool or similar) guided by a 1/2" block from both sides.

Maybe a jamb saw for the bulk of it on both sides, and finishing with a handsaw and/or multi tool. The hard part is going to be where the door is recessed in the pocket, but maybe you can pull the trim off to give enough access.

John

Hi John, I can get the door fully out of the pockets, just cant get them off the track. I'll have to lookup a jamb saw ?

Hi Kevin, I thought about using that tool but am concerned about cutting straight. I had not thought to use a block/jig. I might do a test in the garage with some scrap lumber. Thanks

How high above the existing floor will the cut be?

I'm wondering if there is room for a clamp (that would hold a cutting guide) to reach under the door. My first thought would be a wooden hand screw clamps (but they're my first choice for lots of things...) if there is enough room for the door to pass over the screws between the jaws. Hand screws have straight, parallel sides which might come in handy here. You could even cut a wooden shim to ride on top of the screws (or the hand screw jaws) that gives you the 1/2" from the bottom of the door, gauged from the floor. You can loosen, slide, and reset a clamp as you go. You might use an extra clamp to hold the door open while you make the first ~80% of the cut.

Instead of the shims above, you may be able to cut a spacer for between the clamp/guide and the floor, to hold the top edge of the clamp at the right height for the cut.

I think you will need a non-offset, flush cutting saw, probably the Japanese type (I can't remember what they are called.) A conventional saw has enough set to the teeth that it won't follow a guide that well.

I'm not quite sure how I would handle the last bit of the cut that won't come out of the pocket...

Hope this helps... maybe someone will come along with a better idea.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I just thought about this some more (and reading the other responses)...

You could rip a couple of strips of wood that you could screw to the bottom 1/2" that you will be cutting off. One strip on each side. Then use them as a guide for the flush cutting saw. If you are trying to control the height above the existing floor surface, you could just rip them to that width, for a self-setting gauge.

You probably want to tape both sides of the cut to help control splintering.

Oh, and apparently there won't be any part of the door that won't come out of the pocket, so disregard my concern about that.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

ok, now I know what a jamb saw is and I can rent one locally, a good option, especially if I can cut from both sides of the door accurately (1 3/8 thick door)

Thanks to all, great suggestions which got my creative juices working a bit more. I might try to combine all your ideas to do the following:
    Build up a flat plywood board wide enough to accept a jamb saw from both sides of the door, include a dado in the board for the door to slide into, screw the board to the floor, slide the door into the board dado and then cut each door from both sides with a jamb saw. This assumes I can rent a good jamb saw with a good blade.

By the way, here is a picture of the door pulled out of the jamb, I can slide each door individually to the middle with lots of room for cutting.french door bottom.jpg

Blog Entries
    Check this site, you may find something to use.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Po...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don't forget that, since it's a door, you only care about the outermost cut line being straight. Underneath it can be jagged or ugly. You might be able to clamp on a straightedge and use a boxcutter or something to score along the outermost finish, then work up to it with an oscillating tool. Sand it flush with a thin block with some sandpaper on it.

Is this some kind of homemade or antique door hardware ? All pocket hdwr I know of can be removed without going into the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Is this some kind of homemade or antique door hardware ? All pocket hdwr I know of can be removed without going into the walls.
    I agree withDave. The only thing that likely will need to be removed is the jamb in order to get the door completely out of the wall to remove it from the track.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    This.

Pics of the top of the door/track/rollers will help. The super common Johnson pocket door hardware has a simple latch/catch to remove the door.

Photos of your track and rollers would help. Depending on the track you may be able to cut an opening in the track to allow the trucks ("rollers") to drop out to remove the door.After trimming reinstall the door and add a stop to keep the trucks in. This is a common application with pocket doors. Good luck and let us know what you do.