Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of putting skylights in my garage shop

I have put in a couple skylights, not the Velux, and even if they did not leak, they would condensate. Looking back, should just have refused to install them, but some women really insist on having their skylights! My sister has one, and it did not leak until they had the roof replaced. So blame the roofer.

They make power openers with wall or remote switches. They make them solar powered as well. They make vent fans for tube lights and lighting kits so they brighten up the floor after the sun goes down.
    I did not like the price or the design of the Velux flashing so I made my own. I bent an L shape that was about 12" deep across the top and a little less down the sides. It went up and over the curb all around. The top piece was U shaped and overlapped the bottom by 12" or more. I made the top piece by cutting one long angle in two places to fold around the curb and along the sides. Then I soldered a piece at each corner so it is really one piece. Water would have to pool over two inches deep, on a sloped roof, before it could go under the top of the flashing.
    On the ceiling I drywalled in the short light tunnel. I used bullnose trim for the transition to the ceiling plane. I think that rounded look adds a nice look and helps to hide any slight imperfections.
    Bil lD
    Some sklights are big enough they can be listed as fire escape windows for attic bedrooms.

I put 10 skylights in a really complicated standing seam roof, and folded the curbs from the roofing pan metal. There were no upper curves. I built the roof up above the skylights, so there was nothing to catch, and hold leaves, and water.

That house already had the skylights in, and the owner wanted to keep them. I used the existing trim inside, and ordered custom insulated 2x4 foot glass panels. The glass was tempered safety glass, and the outer pieces were bronzed, or there would have been too much heat gain during times when leaves were either coming out, or falling.

It is an ugly house, that had been added onto several times, but the owner was desperate for a roof that wouldn't leak. It hasn't. It is on a great lake lot though. We also put a matching roof on the boathouse. If you look closely at the house picture, you can see the low sides of the 6 skylights on that low slope roof. There are four more up on the highest planes of the Gambrels. It was one of those jobs that I didn't really want to do, but would do it for a premium price. It's 300 yards from our house.

I have pictures of the skylight process, but no one else would hardly repeat it anyway.

I can't find the folder with the pictures of the skylight procedure. They must be in another, older hard drive. Anyway, it involved the use of one of these tools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kfqmn8hd40
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-30-2020 at 6:24 PM.

Prior to making the investment in time and dough, I'd suggest you assess the quality of your interior lighting. I have the 4' twin tube LED's I bought at Costco and the lighting is excellent, at least compared to anything I've had before You may find that solves the problem. I hate punching holes in a good roof.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Prior to making the investment in time and dough, I'd suggest you assess the quality of your interior lighting. I have the 4' twin tube LED's I bought at Costco and the lighting is excellent, at least compared to anything I've had before You may find that solves the problem. I hate punching holes in a good roof.
    More lights it will be. I got two estimates for two Velux skylights, one for $8,500 and one for $4,500, both from what I feel are reliable contractors. I'll never understand how two estimates could be so different?
    Just noticed this is my thousandth post, what is it about round numbers that fascinates us?
    Last edited by dennis thompson; 05-12-2020 at 6:10 AM.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    More lights it will be. I got two estimates for two Velux skylights, one for $8,500 and one for $4,500, both from what I feel are reliable contractors. I'll never understand how two estimates could be so different?
    Just noticed this is my thousandth post, what is it about round numbers that fascinates us?
    My contractor put them in for about $500 each (plus the cost of the skylights)

The significance of round numbers varies with the number base system in use!

JKJ

I put a 24x48 pella brand non venting skylight in our kitchen during a major remodel 35 years ago. We have reshuffled twice since then due to hail. Never had a hint of a leak yet. I built a lip where the light shaft goes through the ceiling so in the wintertime I can lay a piece of plexiglass in there. It stops all condensation and dig does cut down on the heat loss. The amount of light it lets in is amazing. Jarrd

Mixed Review

First Shop.jpgI had 2 skylights on the south side of my first shop. Good news: they never leaked in the 7 years that I had the shop. Bad news: they didn't provide nearly as much light as I had hoped for. I lived in southern Ohio outside of Cincinnati so I would classify the sun condition as somewhere in the middle between a really northern climate and where I live now in Texas. (Sorry the photo is "pixilated" since it was taken through a window screen.)

Late as usual to the party, but will post for future users.

My shop has six 2X8' skylights. Built it 15 years go, and no hint of a leak. Live in SoCal, so sun is the big factor for mine. I installed the lights on the North facing side of the roof, to avoid direct sunlight heat gain.

The inside is drywalled with the lights tunneled into the ceiling. Light output is great, and except for winter time, I can normally work inside the shop without using the lights until about late afternoon.

I also have five solar tubes in the house, and highly recommend them also, but not for workshop. They really brighten a darkish room, but not enough to work by.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

God idea to weld up a grid of rebar inside to stop thieves from slipping in. It will also prevent a fall if you slip on the roof and go through the glass.
    Bil lD