Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20" porter jointer

20" porter jointer

Just about ready to skid, crate and ship this to the west coast. It's not the prettiest, but it's now mechanically sound, new bearings, fresh knives, repaired gaurd, newer starter, etc

https://youtu.be/qiNHsoMwHWc

IMG_20200427_200606_470.jpg

That guard is something else.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    That guard is something else.

Erik
    Uhhh, ok?

The porter guard actually works very well. The cut out allows you to stay in position and the pin allows the whole thing to pivot flat against the side of the machine and out of the way. 20" is a rare size. Darcy, did you keep the oil bath Bearings? Porter used ABEC 7 phenolic cage precision in their jointers. Best bearings I've seen in a jointer or planer. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The porter guard actually works very well. The cut out allows you to stay in position and the pin allows the whole thing to pivot flat against the side of the machine and out of the way. 20" is a rare size. Darcy, did you keep the oil bath Bearings? Porter used ABEC 7 phenolic cage precision in their jointers. Best bearings I've seen in a jointer or planer. Dave
    No, customer chose sealed bearings as they didn't want to deal with that in their commercial shop. I can't say I blame them, honestly I can't see much difference from original porter set up vs the shielded SKFs I used.

I agree, the porter gaurds are probably the best thought out ones made.

I'm not sure whether to be afraid of this jointer or land a plane on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockenberg View Post
    I'm not sure whether to be afraid of this jointer or land a plane on it.
    Afraid of what?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Afraid of what?
    Just a joke based on the "not the prettiest" factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockenberg View Post
    Just a joke based on the "not the prettiest" factor.
    It's a bit ugly, porter was never known for their wonderful paint jobs, this in is plenty worn, but it beats 10 coats of paint.

Darcy do you have a Magnetic starter that you prefer. Im currently using a Square D on my 166 I don’t really like how it buzzes sometimes.
    I like the Porter very cool.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Darcy do you have a Magnetic starter that you prefer. Im currently using a Square D on my 166 I don’t really like how it buzzes sometimes.
    I like the Porter very cool.
    I actually prefer Square D stuff, followed by AB, then cutler hammer. all Furnas starters should be thrown in the garbage. Lol.

Buzzing is from the coil. It could be dirty or getting weak. Or you could be significantly over its voltage, 220 coil 240 feeding machine.

I think Porter used the money saved by not hiring a good painter for better bearings. I agree that the 20" and smaller Porter jointers used small enough bearings that sealed will work on the direct drive machines.. The larger porters used bearings too large to run sealed at 3600 rpm let alone the 6000 they spec'd the belt drive to run. In spite of being ugly, I prefer the Porter to the Oliver. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I actually prefer Square D stuff, followed by AB, then cutler hammer. all Furnas starters should be thrown in the garbage. Lol.

Buzzing is from the coil. It could be dirty or getting weak. Or you could be significantly over its voltage, 220 coil 240 feeding machine.
    This weekend I plan to open it up and clean out any dust. If you don’t mind I send you pic of the contacts for evaluation.
    My voltage seems ok I’ve checked that.
    If anything my service is a bit soft lately with summer temps here.
    Thanks Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I think Porter used the money saved by not hiring a good painter for better bearings. I agree that the 20" and smaller Porter jointers used small enough bearings that sealed will work on the direct drive machines.. The larger porters used bearings too large to run sealed at 3600 rpm let alone the 6000 they spec'd the belt drive to run. In spite of being ugly, I prefer the Porter to the Oliver. Dave
    One of the best cutterhead yoke set ups in any jointer made. I explained the pros and cons of bearing selection and a good quality shielded bearing was their choice.
    I have never owned a belt drive porter, only DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    This weekend I plan to open it up and clean out any dust. If you don’t mind I send you pic of the contacts for evaluation.
    My voltage seems ok I’ve checked that.
    If anything my service is a bit soft lately with summer temps here.
    Thanks Good Luck
    Sounds good.