Thread: Advice/opinions help?

Advice/opinions help?

I am planning on building a small enclosed TV cabinet for our porch. It is semi enclosed screened in with a knee wall, tiled floor and the cabinet will be closest to the house. Dimensions will be roughly 36H x 46W x 14D, with bi-fold pocket doors. Yes, I know it will be low to the ground but it will be fine for the size of our patio and viewing angle. My intentions were to make most of the casing and doors from birch plywood 3/4” for casing and 1/2” with some trim for the doors. The exterior would be painted with an exterior acrylic, top may have a spar varnish oak/pine/undecided and interior would get spar varnish some other clear finish. Any suggestions on using birch plywood, finish, etc? It’s been hard to find plans or articles on building furniture for a covered but outdoor patio.
    Last edited by Eric Tibbetts; 04-28-2020 at 12:38 AM.

0F15EE0D-F414-4173-81F2-F8989DBC6805.jpg
    Console would be backed against the windows on the left of the picture.

What an inviting porch! I’ll bring the chips and guacamole.

I used marine varnish on an outdoor swing I built. Held up very well. I don’t recall the brand. If I think of it I’ll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Tibbetts View Post
    0F15EE0D-F414-4173-81F2-F8989DBC6805.jpg
    Console would be backed against the windows on the left of the picture.
    No useful comment on the TV cabinet but what a great-looking porch! In our latest remodel we screened in one porch and extended another to add a sun room. Love both, but I'd better not let My Lovely Bride see the picture of yours! (or give her the idea of a TV there - I don't watch but she does.)

Ok I found the marine varnish,

Man O' War Marine Spar Varnish. It'll take a beating from the sun and even rain better than any other finish, so I've been told. It held up on my swing for a few years, then I sanded it off and re-varnished it. But that was in direct sun and rain, your finish should last for a very long time in your mostly protected porch.

Sunlight is a killer. I had a screen porch with a varnished fir floor. The south west corner got mid-morning to late afternoon sun, and I think I originally used the Minwax product. I had to strip and re-sand after a couple of years. Check out Epiphanes. When I researched it had the highest solid content. It's $45/quart but then it's no fun refinishing! You'll find it at marine stores - West Marine for me locally.

Any suggestions on wood? Most of the small pieces I have built have been completely indoors. This will be my first piece that is in a covered outdoor area. i don’t have access to a planer and jointer anymore but I could used the edge glued pieces from the big box or use birch plywood. I plan on painting it with exterior grade paint.

Here’s a chart from Wood Magazine that might help:

https://www.woodmagazine.com/system/...tdoorchart.pdf
    Last edited by Mark Daily; 04-29-2020 at 3:50 PM.

If I understand your post, the cabinet and the TV in it will not be exposed to direct sun or rain but it will be exposed to temperature swings. Don't know your location but a friend in southern Ontario which gets temperature extremes from say plus 90 F in summer to minus 20 F in winter, has a purchased TV cabinet for their outdoor TV near their hot tub. The cabinet is fully exposed so it's more extreme than your case but it has a heater and ventilation fan to protect the TV from temperature extremes. Depending on your location, you may want to check whether you need to worry about temperature and humidity extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    If I understand your post, the cabinet and the TV in it will not be exposed to direct sun or rain but it will be exposed to temperature swings. Don't know your location but a friend in southern Ontario which gets temperature extremes from say plus 90 F in summer to minus 20 F in winter, has a purchased TV cabinet for their outdoor TV near their hot tub. The cabinet is fully exposed so it's more extreme than your case but it has a heater and ventilation fan to protect the TV from temperature extremes. Depending on your location, you may want to check whether you need to worry about temperature and humidity extremes.
    That is correct. Occasionally if rain blows in from the East hard enough, a few drops MAY touch it but I don’t recall seeing water on the ground there. It typically blows in from the West but over half of that side is protected by the house. Temp swings here at typically 20F to 90F. My father in law has his TV mounted just to the side of his house in the porch and he’s never had issues with his TV. I don’t think the fan and all will be necessary. We would probably open a few times a week because my wife and I like being out there in the evenings.

Thanks for the input, Mark but I don’t have a subscription to view the article.