Thread: Shearing is complete!

Shearing is complete!

Instead of shearing the llamas and alpacas myself I decided to support the local economy!
    Susan is actually in high demand, even now - these animals have to be sheared before it gets hot or they will suffer.
    This alpaca has amazing fiber and a lot of it!

shearing_A_2020.jpg shearing_B_2020.jpg

This is a before and after picture of a similar alpaca a few years ago:

shearing_before_after.jpg

JKJ

So what do you do with the wool now that it has been removed from the alpaca?

We have two Alpaca blankets. They are so light and tremendously warm.

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    So what do you do with the wool now that it has been removed from the alpaca?
    So far, I've (gently) vacuum-packed most of the fleeces in bags and am storing in tubs. I have six alpacas/llamas now but have had up to a dozen so I have lots of fiber!

llamas.jpg

Alpaca fiber is the best and llama fiber is also good but is sometimes blended with alpaca or sheep fiber to make it easier to spin.

I have given some to friends who work with fiber. One goal is to get most processed professionally into ready-to-sell "roving", strips of fiber ready for the spinning wheel, or into yarn.

I have spinning wheels and have learned to spin yarn but haven't done much yet other than learn and demonstrate. I also learned to knit (with skills at the beginner level.)
    I often have kids come to the farm to see the animals (at least I did when times were "normal".) I let them feel how soft an alpaca's coat is feel the fiber. Occasionally we have a shearing or spinning demonstration. My goal is to be able to show them the animal, the fleece, the roving, the yarn, and the hat! Some day...

Please send any extra time you have laying around. Even an extra hour a day would help.