Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to replace fence pads with?

Good idea Bill, I already have a bunch of nylon toilet seat bolts. The ones I have are 1/2" and I have a matching tap and drill bit. I tested in some scrap wood and the threaded hole accepts the nylon bolt so tomorrow I'll test on some scrap steel and if it works, drill out the existing 1/4" bolt holes and tap them for the nylon bolts.

Hoe Depot has 1/4 nylon bolts on their unsearchable website. So they may be on the shelf in stores other then Atlanta? I prefer not to modify the original casting, just in case.
    Bill D

Mine has already been modified, the bolts are in new holes drilled by a previous owner and it's not a casting, just angle iron. The original holes for the pads are intact so I'm just drilling out the new holes added by the previous owner to match the bolts I have. The nylon bolts in my Delta T2 fence appear to be just under 1/2" so bigger is probably better, at least in this case. If it doesn't work out I still have the option to replace the pads but they're about $10 each and don't give any easy adjustment to square the fence to the table. So, free better solution or $20 inferior solution?

Note, the existing original holes for the pads are not threaded, I believe the pads are just held in place by friction.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 09-14-2021 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Added note

Glad I did a test in some scraps, turns out the bolts are 7/16" not 1/2". I first tested by drilling and tapping a piece of scrap wood and it appeared to fit. Before I drilled out the 1/4" holes in the fence, I drilled and tapped a piece of scrap steel and discovered the tapped hole was too big for the nylon toilet seat bolts (which were packaged as 1/2"). Next was a lucky coincidence, a while back I picked up a 7/16" tap and matching drill bit at Lowes on a clearance table, didn't need it but too good a deal to pass up. Somehow five years ago I knew this day would come. So I drilled and tapped the existing 1/4" holes (which the previous owner had drilled) out to 7/16" and installed the bolts, perfect fit, longer than needed but I'll wait until the fence is installed and adjusted and trim them if they're in the way of anything. I think my fix (applying the design from the Delta T2 fence) is better than the original Bessy design, I'll know for sure once I complete the fence install.
    Here's a picture of the Bessy with the nylon bolts and the Delta.
    fence2.jpgfence1.jpg

5. Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Pm me your address along with how big a piece(s) of laminate you want, I have plenty of small pieces to cut out what you need
    Ron

Ron - sorry to dig up an old post like this, but I am currently looking for small amounts of formica for this exact purpose, replacing old busted pads on a biesmeyer resto.
    do you have any scraps leftover for the needy? I attempted to PM, but I guess I dont have those privs anymore. Its been years since Ive posted on SMC - so im sure things have changed.
    thanks!

Matteo you need to be a contributor to see pictures and pm
    cost $6 a year
    yes I have scrap laminate need your address and what size pieces you want
    Ron

Box stores also generally sell 2'x4' sheets of plastic laminate that's not all that expensive and good for small projects like this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kitchen counters are a good source of laminate. Just grab it from somewhere where other people who use the counter won't notice it gone. Or maybe glue the toaster down over the missing piece. Yeah, there might be fireworks, but I have done worse.

Most places that sell countertops will have sample chips for free.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Matteo you need to be a contributor to see pictures and pm
    cost $6 a year
    yes I have scrap laminate need your address and what size pieces you want
    Ron
    thanks ron
    all signed up
    i sent you a couple PMs
    let me know here if you did not receive them (i dont see them in my sent items folder)

11. Thanks for the tips everyone. Very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Matteo Lorenzo View Post
    i sent you a couple PMs
    ... (i dont see them in my sent items folder)
    You might have to turn that on.
    Click on Settings at the top of the screen near the right.
    In the panel at the left click on General Settings
    Under Messaging & Notification, Sent Private Messages turn on "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default"

JKJ

long gone and never replaced. Substitute for going to the gym.

14. Bingo.
    Thanks John!