Thread: PJ-882HH Delivery Question

PJ-882HH Delivery Question

So I placed the order tonight to take advantage of the 15% and free shipping. Anyone had one delivered lately?

I took delivery of a PM 15HH planer last week and they showed up with a full semi-trailer with a lift gate. Ended up transferring from the trailer to the bed of my truck as the trailer couldn’t back down the 300’ driveway.

Backed the truck up to one of the garage doors and got out my ATV ramps. My brother-in-law and I tipped it back and put a couple of lengths of Schedule 60 PVC to use as rollers, and rolled it to the ramp. Took the rollers out and slowly slid it down the ramp and onto the floor.

The jointer is a couple hundred pounds heavier, and I’m not sure I want that much weight on my tailgate.

Anyhow, please let me know your experience if you took delivery of one recently, or not so recently.

If it’s like other 8” jointers, it should come in two crates/boxes. One for the business end which will be coffin shaped, and one for the base/motor. Easy peasy

Ahh, that would make life so much easier.

I had similar problem taking a delivery of both a Grizzly 20" planer(800#) and Grizzly 12" jointer(1300#). They each in their own crate and inside each I found the main machine taking up 95% of the weight and some smaller boxes that when removed didn't affect the weight too much. I received the crates one at a time in my truck bed and then drove it home. The challenging part was getting from the truck bed to the ground. My solution was to build a gantry (from designs and ideas I found on youtube)with a 1 ton hoist that I got from Harbor freight. It worked.

I too am tempted and trying to make a decision before the sale ends on the PM 882HH. My understanding is that it comes in one large crate, something like 744lbs shipping weight. It's going to be a mother to get unloaded.

If you are going to pick it up at the shipping company, will they load it on a tilt bed trailer? I have used a 5x9 tilt bed trailer I use to move lawnmowers and ATV's around with, to bring home for one thing my K3 Winner tablesaw. Tilts right to the floor, and just used a flat bar to get the pallet over the bottom edge of the trailer. Had to build a ramp to get the saw off the pallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollis View Post
    Ahh, that would make life so much easier.
    Mike, these jointers come in one, huge, crate, assembled, for the most part.

My Shop Fox came in two pieces. Powermatic can verify. Similar machines I believe.

If it doesn’t come in two parts, take it apart into two parts. Remove fence, remove belt guard, remove belt, remove 6-8 bolts and it’s apart.

My 8" Grizzly jointer came in one crate. My driveway is maybe 100 feet long. The delivery was made by FedEx Freight in a semi-truck with a lift gate. He never considered backing into my driveway and I wouldn't have wanted him to. The driver had a pallet jack which he used to help me roll the jointer up my driveway and into my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tekin View Post
    Mike, these jointers come in one, huge, crate, assembled, for the most part.
    That’s what I was afraid of. The delivery company called me today to set up delivery - the told me it was coming in a semi-trailer with no lift gate. Told them they needed to go back to the shipper and get a lift gate authorized.

I recently moved my Powermatic 6 inch jointer (PJ-54HH). My one-armed friend, Stephen, helped. Stephen is also a noted author. He wrote the novel, The Red Splat of Foolhardiness. The actual move was uneventful. My jointer weighs a good bit less than yours. The crane can lift 500 lb at the outermost attachment point.

Good luck. Moving heavy things is scary.
    LiftingJointer.jpg

When I move my planer, I will rent a box truck with a lift gate. I got a price of $40 per day and $.15 a mile.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 04-30-2020 at 3:47 PM.

Well unfortunately Mike Tekin was right. Delivery came in a 48’ semi trailer with a lift gate, so no way for him to get down the 300’ driveway. Ended up putting my 450 right under the lift gate and he moved it across. Going to tarp it tonight and a friend is coming over in the morning with his Kubota and I have some 10K lb rigging slings we will use to get it on the ground. 91B9BC1A-514F-460A-92CC-8C6E7BE621A9.jpg

That truck certainly looks up to the task.

But wow, that’s a giant crate! Sounds like you have it covered with the friend’s tractor, but if that’s not always a guarantee maybe a gantry crane is in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    That truck certainly looks up to the task.

But wow, that’s a giant crate! Sounds like you have it covered with the friend’s tractor, but if that’s not always a guarantee maybe a gantry crane is in your future.
    Thanks, minimum payload capacity is 5,400 lbs so it didn’t squat much at all when this 750 lb crate was put in the back.

I’ll look in to making a gantry crane.