Thread: An observation on the “Covid times”

An observation on the “Covid times”

I always put all of our junk mail, advertising fliers, etc in a box in the basement. When the box was full I would empty it in a recycling trailer in town. I always kind of kept track of it and the box would be full on the average every two weeks. I emptied the box 5 weeks ago and it isn’t 2/3 full now. I guess that means companies are spending a whole lot less time and money on mailings and advertising. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes. I too have see a substantial decrease in our junk mail. I've also experienced a marked reduction in unwanted calls on the cell phone.

Ditto on both accounts!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

'Just goes in our weekly recycling pickup (we usually have more recycling than trash) but yea, the volume has been a little lower...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Yes. ... I've also experienced a marked reduction in unwanted calls on the cell phone.
    We also have seen an enormous drop in the number of junk phone calls. When we are operating under emergency conditions, in NYS and a few others, it is "illegal" (don't know if there are any enforcement penalties) to make unasked for telemarketing solicitations.

Yes, Robocalls and junk mail are way down, I could get accustomed to this........Rod.

Blog Entries
    This is interesting, all the sale flyers used to be most of our junk mail. Most of those stores likely aren't trying to bring in the crowds.

We have still received a few junk calls.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Many of the stores still open quit putting ads in the Sunday paper. Target is only putting their weekly ad online right now. The first week or two Target didn't even advertise food as no need to.

I heard the reason a number of stores quit advertising in the newspaper was to stop enticing customers to go shopping. Menards supposedly bowed to public pressure and pulled their newspaper ads. Menards has still been packed even without newspaper ads. I was there earlier today to grab a few things and they are running out of stock on certain items like mouldings. I couldn't get all the moulding I need for my project. (Why is it moulding instead of molding? It is spelled moulding in the store.)

I was in Lowes today and it looked like a bomb had gone off in there. There were lots of shoppers, but all the parking lot cart storage units on the lot were over flowing with carts. The aisles were stacked and crammed with items to be stocked on shelves and they had even completely blocked the end of one aisle with a 16 foot bundle of decking boards. I was looking to buy some boards for a project and the only stock they had was picked through. I ended up going down to Home Depot to get what I needed. Usually, this Lowes store is neat and clean. I wonder if they have had a lot of employee no shows due to covid?
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Less junk mail and junk calls here, too. I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it.

With no disrespect intended to the people who do such work, junk mail is clearly a non-essential business. Plus, companies probably slashed advertizing to survive.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Here in Ontario, some of the big names in sales flyers put out announcements telling would-be shoppers that they were discontinuing paper flyers in favour of electronic versions. Works for me.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    (Why is it moulding instead of molding? It is spelled moulding in the store.)
    With/without the 'u' is strictly a British English vs American English thing. Was Menards originally Canadian? (I've never lived anywhere that has them: first time I ever saw the name was on the hood of a racecar. )

But my suspicion is that "moulding" became standard here in recent decades after mold issues and abatement became a thing: didn't want people confusing decorative woodwork with that black stuff that was making them sick.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    But my suspicion is that "moulding" became standard here in recent decades after mold issues and abatement became a thing: didn't want people confusing decorative woodwork with that black stuff that was making them sick.
    All three of the big home improvement chains call it moulding. I think I first noticed that spelling at Home Depot a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    With/without the 'u' is strictly a British English vs American English thing. Was Menards originally Canadian? (I've never lived anywhere that has them: first time I ever saw the name was on the hood of a racecar. )

I believe John Menard lives in/is from Wisconsin.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore