Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut, Hickory and Steel Coffee Table

This is a great piece and well executed. It has interest from every view.
    How heavy is it? Or are you able to remove sections for moving?

Quote Originally Posted by james glenn View Post
    This is a great piece and well executed. It has interest from every view.
    How heavy is it? Or are you able to remove sections for moving?
    Thank you James! Each box can be removed with 4 screws (which I think I am going to replace with threaded inserts and bolts), but I was able to carry it in my house with my neighbor's help (we were close to 6' apart picking up on each end ). I would guess it weighs somewhere around 200 lbs in total but I have not weighed it at all to know for sure.

An excellent balance of mass, tones and asymmetry. And, I should add, craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    An excellent balance of mass, tones and asymmetry. And, I should add, craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks David!

That is cool. I love the continuous grain. You should figure a way to may them open or a removable panel to conceal things that need to be concealed.

Gorgeous! Is that your design?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Gorgeous! Is that your design?
    Thanks Brian. My wife found something similar on Etsy and then I made some changes such as the steel base and sizing the boxes to the wood that I had on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Mills View Post
    That is cool. I love the continuous grain. You should figure a way to may them open or a removable panel to conceal things that need to be concealed.
    My original intent was to put drawer slides under the boxes so that they could pull out toward which ever side of the table you are sitting on so it is easier to put a drink on it or put up your feet, but that got super complicated and I just wanted to be done with it. I do think I might go back and make some hidden drawers behind the smaller pieces of wood on each end of the segmented box. Should be pretty easy because I can cut the plywood box that the segments are attached to from the inside and that can essentially be the front of the drawer box with the segmented pieces as the drawer front.

A little late to the post, but really great piece, Mitch. Love the design and wood choices and well as the metal/wood combination. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    A little late to the post, but really great piece, Mitch. Love the design and wood choices and well as the metal/wood combination. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks Phil!

Blog Entries
    Mitch, very impressed. Has a traditional meets contemporary flare to it. Looks like all of the wood boxes are miter jointed. How did you connect them, biscuits, dominoes, dowels and glue? And is the base just square steel tubes mitered on corners and ground smooth? Hard to tell in pics. And finally, is the metal painted or raw steel? Sorry for so many questions, but you should be very proud of this work.

Mitch, well done. I have some of the same questions as Tim. Thanks for sharing

You had me at Waterfalls. Great piece. It could have easily felt massive and overwhelming, but your use of scales and division of space feels elegant balanced. Then the grain, color, and pattern just warm it all up real nicely.