Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut, Hickory and Steel Coffee Table

Walnut, Hickory and Steel Coffee Table

I started this coffee table almost 3 years ago and then we moved about 1000 miles away and I had no shop area to work in. Then we had a baby and bought a new house. Finally I got my shop back and upgraded some tools and was able to finish this piece. The 3 solid boxes are walnut with continuous grain where I could make it happen and the 4th box is hickory on top that I filled a bunch of voids with epoxy and then the ends are walnut. The base I made out of 2×4 steel tubing to give it a more modern type feel to match the design.
    Overall my wife is extremely happy with it and I am just happy it is out of my shop so I can start a new project!

63128.jpg63140.jpeg63147.jpg63154.jpeg63156.jpg63158.jpg

Mitch, normally I am not a fan of modern design furniture but this design, those contrasting woods, the finish along with the addition of the steel base are really, really beautiful and work well together! Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I think you nailed a very nice and interesting feel with that particular piece, Mitch. 'Glad you got it completed and I look forward to what comes next!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice work indeed on those continuous grain boxes, and the finish is outstanding.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Mitch, normally I am not a fan of modern design furniture but this design, those contrasting woods, the finish along with the addition of the steel base are really, really beautiful and work well together! Well done Sir!
    Thank you Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think you nailed a very nice and interesting feel with that particular piece, Mitch. 'Glad you got it completed and I look forward to what comes next!
    Thanks Jim! Next up is either going to be a dining room table, or a very large entertainment center area with fireplace. Haven't decided which yet, but hopefully neither of them take me nearly as long as this coffee table did!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Very nice work indeed on those continuous grain boxes, and the finish is outstanding.

John
    Thanks John! Arm-R-Seal satin was the finish of choice. I used 3 coats and sanded with 800 grit and steel wool in between the coats respectively.

what is the internal structure like? are the grooves between the boxes 3/4 deep and painted black on the back? very cool piece. inspiring design work.

They are 4 individual boxes that are only attached to the base by "feet" that hold them . The gaps in between the boxes go all the way to the base with nothing in between. The inside face of each of the boxes are made of plywood that are painted black.

Thanks Adam!

I really like the "Look" that you achieved with it! It is appealing to the eye in a variety of ways.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I really like the "Look" that you achieved with it! It is appealing to the eye in a variety of ways.

Jim
    Thanks Jim!

Mitch, the table showcases the wood grain very well. My only reservation, especially with a young family is dropping stuff in the gaps.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Really interesting piece with beautiful wood. Are walnut boxes solid wood? Or ply and veneer? Impressive either way. Will look forward to seeing your next project as well.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Really interesting piece with beautiful wood. Are walnut boxes solid wood? Or ply and veneer? Impressive either way. Will look forward to seeing your next project as well.
    Thanks Christopher! The walnut boxes are solid wood, about 3/4" thick. The faces of each box that you can't see are plywood which I painted black.
    Last edited by Mitch Fenneman; 04-29-2020 at 8:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Mitch, the table showcases the wood grain very well. My only reservation, especially with a young family is dropping stuff in the gaps.
    Thanks William! I am sure there will be some items dropped down in there from time to time, but between each box and the base, it is open and whatever is dropped in can always be pushed back out through that gap. There is a piece of plywood that is inset flush with the top of the steel base, so it should be pretty easy to get anything that gets in there back out.