Thread: DRO For Miter Saw

DRO For Miter Saw

I'm looking for suggestions for adding a DRO to my miter saw. I currently have 8' fence with stop on the left side of the blade that just uses a tape.

Primary reason for wanting to switch to DRO is so that I can switch back & forth between metric & feet and inches. Many of my recent projects were a better fit for metric measurements but I am not ready to completely switch.

I checked the Wixey and I-Gauging sites and didn't see anything that was specifically designed for miter saws but expect that a few SMC members have made something work.

I can't identify a product for you, Frank, but a quick Google search on "Miter Saw DRO" brings up a number of options and articles on the same. I actually just bought the DRO for my drum sander for exactly the same reason...I work primarily in metric, but have to switch for some client projects and that tool currently only has Imperial scale. Constantly using my calipers slows me down.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You can buy adhesive-backed tapes marked in both inches and centimeters. For instance $7 for this steel one from Starrett -- https://www.mutualscrew.com/product/...eft-195039.cfm

To get up in the 8' range your likely going to be in the ProScale or Tigerstop type setup. Proscale has 8' read heads and rails with your standard basic LCD readout. Tigerstop I believe is going to be more of an automated only (punch in your desired length, hit enter, and the stop moves to that location). I looked at the 8' and 10' Proscale reads a long while back and they were like 1200-1500. Im not sure what a Tigerstop is but it will be a lot more but your speed will be way up there too.

I dont know of any of the lower level DRO's that offer the rails in long lengths.