Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raise height of Sawstop PCS in ICS mobile base?

Question Raise height of Sawstop PCS in ICS mobile base?

Hello all. I'm about to take delivery of a SS PCS and am thinking about how I can raise the working height of it. I have the ICS mobile base already so another Mobile base is not an option.

I'm 6'4" and the 34.5" is not optimal for me. In fact it would be down right too low. My old saw and outfeed table is at 36.5" which I find to be perfect for most things. So I'm not looking to raise the overall height that much, maybe 2-3".

Anyone have suggestions to share and or what you did to raise yours? Pics would also be very helpful.

Since the ICS base moves so easily, you might consider a platform of sorts. Be careful with the design of a ramp for the platform since the base has very little excess space and might bottom out along the transition. This was a problem when I unloaded my PCS from my pickup. The ramp could be removable so not to be in your way. Just some thoughts.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    I’m only 5’10’ and I raised mine about 3". The exact platform height was to match my other work surfaces that matched my previous tablesaw. Regardless of the reason I simply made a small plywood torsion box. Since my saw is not mobile I just added some stops to make sure the saw stayed in position. It would be easy enough to lag screw or bolt the machine to the platform. I am not familiar with your mobile base but, I imagine there is a way to sandwich a plywood riser between the base and machine.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-26-2020 at 11:49 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What Glenn describes is how I'd do this...a box to raise the "floor" of the mobile base with the provision to security bolt down the heavy tool since it will no longer be contained by the OEM mobile base laterally. Oh, and part of the "tool set" you'll need for this projects is some significant help lifting the saw up...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think a lot depends upon how mobile you need it to be.

2x 4's on edge almost give you the extra height. I would build a torsion box out of 2 x 4's and make it about 12" wider than the mobile base footprint.

If you need to roll it up a ramp, often, I would build a shallow ramp where the ramp is in the outfeed side of the table. I think if you made the ramp part about 4'-5' it would be shallow enough for the mobile base to roll up.

And if pushing 300lbs+ up the ramp, a cheap winch or come along, electric or manual, might be fairly easily to setup.

I have a Sawstop PCS and the ICS base makes it very easy to move the saw on a flat surface. I used to have to move mine everyday when I needed to use it.

Thanks for the replies so far.

As to making a platform to roll it up on.. Not really an option. I move my saw very frequently since my shop is in a relatively small space. Especially when I'm making cabinets. So whatever solution it needs to be integrated into the mobility system.

I just went out and looked at my Sawstop on the ICS base.
    The PCS cabinet just sits in the ICS mobile base. It would be easy to make a torsion box that sits in the ICS mobile base and that cabinet sits on top of.

On three sides, you could easily incorporate a lip or edge border that would stop the cabinet moving on the torsion box.

Then you would still have full mobility.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 04-26-2020 at 2:56 PM.

Don't really see the need for a torsion box since the saw weight is just carried along the edges, so you only need support around the edges. A simple square or rectangular frame of 4x4s set onto the two thick metal bars where the saw normally sits would give you 3.5 inches. You would need to figure a way to fasten the frame to the base and the saw to the frame. The supplied hold downs should take care of the attaching the frame to the base, and adding a lip around the frame like Chris suggested would give you a way to fasten the saw to the frame. Of course a torsion box would work, just seems like it would be extra work though.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Don't really see the need for a torsion box since the saw weight is just carried along the edges, so you only need support around the edges. A simple square or rectangular frame of 4x4s set onto the two thick metal bars where the saw normally sits would give you 3.5 inches. You would need to figure a way to fasten the frame to the base and the saw to the frame. The supplied hold downs should take care of the attaching the frame to the base, and adding a lip around the frame like Chris suggested would give you a way to fasten the saw to the frame. Of course a torsion box would work, just seems like it would be extra work though.
    After looking at my ICS and mobile base I agree with Paul. Simple blocks located at the corners should suffice along with appropriate bracing. Keep in mind the industrial base does not lift straight up but rather more on the right side therefore making the bracing even more important after elevating the saw.

I made a platform out of 2x4 on edge and the same flat across the top. I painted it gloss black and put my PCS on top. Very simple, raises it about 5" and works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I made a platform out of 2x4 on edge and the same flat across the top. I painted it gloss black and put my PCS on top. Very simple, raises it about 5" and works great.
    Any chance you would post a pic or two of yours?

I would have to check, but I have my PCS on the ICS base and if I remember correctly put 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood panted them black and put those in the bottom of the base and put the PCS on top of this and this put the top of PCS at 36.5" (Just did a quick check and it is indeed 36.5")
    I can take some picture tomorrow if you are interested.
    Cheers,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    I would have to check, but I have my PCS on the ICS base and if I remember correctly put 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood panted them black and put those in the bottom of the base and put the PCS on top of this and this put the top of PCS at 36.5" (Just did a quick check and it is indeed 36.5")
    I can take some picture tomorrow if you are interested.
    Cheers,

Tim
    I would definitely appreciate a couple of pics. Thanks!

I would make a frame of three 4x4's leaving the front open for storage. Or two 4x4's with a piece of 2x4 in the back Nail a piece of plywood across the top and bottom to keep out sawdust. Or box in the bottom to allow dust extraction. Just use extra long bolts or all thread to hold it all together. If you do the dust collection I would still have door in front so you can store blades and jigs underneath in the breeze.
    Bil lD

Here are some pictures I took when I assembled the saw 10 years ago in my basement shop.

P1020351.JPG

P1020351.JPG

P1020344.JPG

Hope this helps. I don't have any pictures of the "modified" base by itself.
    You will like your SawStop.
    I made my living in the technical end of broadcasting and recording.
    Woodworking became a hobby more so after I retired.
    I have never before seen such well documented instructions as those that came with the SawStop