Thread: Pocket holes

Pocket holes

My wife got a chest of drawers from her grandmother 30 years ago. I assume it is at least 60 years old, and when it was given to my wife it was referred to as "rock maple". I was recently moving the chest and examined the construction. I was surprised to see the drawer blades ( dividers ) were joined to the case with pocket screws. The chest has been moved from house to house at least 10 times, and dropped by my buddy and myself at least once. It is in good shape and good working order. Impressive. Shortly afterwards I picked up a Kreg Pocket Hole jig to work on a project with my daughter.

rock maple.jpgpocket hole.jpg

That's not an unusual technique for hidden fasteners in older furniture. The pockets were cut with a flat bottomed drill bit rather than the handy commercial jigs that we have these days early on. Theoretically, one could even chisel it out...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Pocket screws were an important feature of the Arts and Crafts movement. Delivering quality furniture to the common man required the use of quick (inexpensive) techniques that didn't overly compromise build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Pocket screws were an important feature of the Arts and Crafts movement. Delivering quality furniture to the common man required the use of quick (inexpensive) techniques that didn't overly compromise build quality.
    I've only seen hand chiseled triangular pockets in table aprons to hold on the top and allow movement. Where else were they featured on Arts and Crafts furniture? I've studied furniture for decades, never seen it separated out as Arts and Crafts style.

Is it my eyesight, or is there some squeeze-out apparent in the closeup photo?

Blog Entries
    Here is one source for pocket screws.
    https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=pocket+screws

Blog Entries
    I find pocket hole screws to be a great problem solver. The Kreg mini gets used more than any other in my shop but, I do not use them as a primary joinery method normally. I have made a couple of sets of pocket-holed drawer boxes for shop fixtures for myself and others. They have held up well over the years of regular shop-type use.

When space is tight, here's another version.

Media Cabinet (140).jpg

Forstner bit holes. My design on paper was after a delicate, arched lower rail. It was probably fine but, I felt better adding this hidden reinforcement after the fact. See? Problem solver .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
    Is it my eyesight, or is there some squeeze-out apparent in the closeup photo?
    I agree Warren, it looks like the drawer blade was glued in addition to the pocket hole.

Interesting Glenn, I see the pocket hole screws in a hole make by a Forstner bit. Can you describe your method in more detail for me? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I find pocket hole screws to be a great problem solver. The Kreg mini gets used more than any other in my shop but, I do not use them as a primary joinery method normally. I have made a couple of sets of pocket-holed drawer boxes for shop fixtures for myself and others. They have held up well over the years of regular shop-type use.

When space is tight, here's another version.

Media Cabinet (140).jpg

Forstner bit holes. My design on paper was after a delicate, arched lower rail. It was probably fine but, I felt better adding this hidden reinforcement after the fact. See? Problem solver .

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Interesting Glenn, I see the pocket hole screws in a hole make by a Forstner bit. Can you describe your method in more detail for me? Thanks!
    Jig to hold the workpiece at an angle in the DP and then drill. Very common method prior to the handy jigs we have today. Clean looking too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post

In this case I just drilled 3/4" Forstner bit holes 7/16" deep in 7/8" material. Drill a starter hole for the screw using the edge of the hole as a guide.

Forstner Pocket Hole-1.JPG

Plan for hole position and screw length like any pocket hole.

Forstner Pocket Hole-3.JPGForstner Pocket Hole-2.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jig to hold the workpiece at an angle in the DP and then drill. Very common method prior to the handy jigs we have today. Clean looking too.
    Thanks Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    In this case I just drilled 3/4" Forstner bit holes 7/16" deep in 7/8" material. Drill a starter hole for the screw using the edge of the hole as a guide.

Forstner Pocket Hole-1.JPG

Plan for hole position and screw length like any pocket hole.

Forstner Pocket Hole-3.JPGForstner Pocket Hole-2.JPG
    Thanks Glenn!

I did the Forstner bit/pocket hole trick when building a wood shed with 4x4 and 5x5 rough sawn timbers several years ago. Drilled 1" holes and then ran Timberlok lag screws through the sides of the drilled holes to attach pieces together. It worked quite well.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983