Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting 6" thickwall pvc pipe

cutting 6" thickwall pvc pipe

I need to cut apiece of 6" pvc pipe for dust collection in my tablesaw. I would like to get the cut fairly square. It is too long for my bandsaw. I was thinking cut it on my 12" sliding miter saw then finish with a handsaw.Does that sound workable? Or should I use a handsaw all the way. I have no good way to hold it so starting the cut on the miter saw should help get things started right.
    Bil lD

i would wrap 2" blue tape around for a cut line after careful measurement at several places and use some kind of rotary tool. If cut in a bandsaw for safety I'd make some kind of sled it could be clamped to.

Just scribe a line around the circumference and use a hand saw. Be sure to follow the line.
    David

I'd be nervous about trying it on a SCMS, having a saw head that arcs and slides while cutting something tall and round seems like something could go wrong awful fast and unpredictably.

Can you rough cut it with a handsaw or sawzall and then do a clean up cut on the bandsaw? I have done this with 3 and 4 inch PVC, although I usually just do the rough cut on the bandsaw at an angle.

If you need to clamp it, you can strap clamp it to something, or even just duct tape it to a 1x6 and then screw the 1x6 to a bench or sawhorses.

I don't think twice about throwing pvc onto my mitersaw. Just be sure to grip it firmly, as it wants to spin when the blade first makes contact. Don't cut to fast or it chips. Don't cut to slow or it sticks to the blade. If it does gum up the blade, a little lacquer thinner cleans it right up.

I always use my TS. Lower the blade all the way. Clamp down a 4x4 or your miter guage a few inches behind the blade. This will keep it perpendicular with the blade. Use the TS fence as a stop, turn on saw, raise the blade into the pipe just enough to cut through (1/4” or so) and turn the pipe while gently putting pressure on the fence to hold the pipe lengthwise and make a straight cut. I usually spin the pipe from the fence side (keeper side) and pull a little as I turn to keep it against the TS fence.

If you use the bandsaw you’re limited on how big a piece you can cut by the throat of your BS. So if I wanted to cut a 10’ stick in half, couldn’t do it on the BS.

Now and then we have to cut larger pvc at work. Wrap flashing,cardboard,or even paper around the pipe for a straight line. I prefer my jigsaw for the larger pipes. Easy to hold the saw with one hand and roll the pipe with the other.
    Last edited by Walter Plummer; 04-25-2020 at 7:44 AM. Reason: poor typing skills

Like Johnny said, miter saw is the tool for the job. Make a pass as deep as you can, turn the pipe a quarter tun, use the first pass kerf to make sure nothing moved when you rotated it, and make the last pass. Let it be known though, that if you don't hang on to the pipe and something moves or it rolls before the cut is clear through, it will violently kick back. Easy to prevent by simply hanging onto the pipe so it doesn't roll while cutting.

I have used my TS which works great (I use a fine tooth blade such as a plywood blade) but normally, I use my small 4" hand grinder. Like several said wrap a piece of cardboard around then, mark it with a felt tip.
    Then, cut with the grinder. You can also clean up the edges with the grinder.
    Last edited by Gary Thinglum; 04-25-2020 at 9:51 AM.

I've tried various methods, bandsaw, miter saw, table saw. All work but make a horrible mess. I also made a U shaped fixture to hold the pipe for cutting with a handsaw or long blade in a sawsall; those work OK but it's hard to hold the pipe still. Best method for me is to scribe a line around the pipe, then do a plunge cut with a jigsaw and saw around along the line. Takes less time to do than to describe, doesn't make much mess, and gives a nice clean cut that only requires a quick swipe with a sanding sponge.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

This will work just fine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEo0F-ITq_E

Your welcome.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    I snapped a line around mine and used a jig saw. Quick and easy. I do have a manual chainsaw and if I couldn't get the pipe to the bench, that looks like a winner.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I cut some plastic on my SS and it bound up the DC inlet below the blade. Making a wrap around even out of craft paper and cut it with a hand saw is the way I would go. Secure the pipe, cuts some, roll and keep going. If you need to trim it up use a file and you will be good. Chamfer the inside edge.

I cut mine on the SCMS no problem. You do get a lot of PVC "saw dust" that sticks to everything due to the static electricity and I did not use a good blade....