Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cutting 6" thickwall pvc pipe

Wrap a paper that is long enough to wrap 1 1/2 - 2 times around the pipe, this gives you a square guide to mark it. Then I use a battery powered circular saw to cut it, rolling the pipe while I cut it. Make sure the pipe is well supported at all times. Fast, easy way to do it. If metal pipe then mark it the same way and use a portaband to cut it.
    Good luck
    Ron

Even though I've often used my CMS for cutting PVC pipe, I'd not likely do that for something that large. I'd use one of the other methods mentioned...paper, tape or whatever as a guide and then something hand-held to do the work. If it's a powered saw (circular or jigsaw, etc) blade exposure should be the minimum to do the job. There are also hand saws designed to cut through PVC/ABS pipe quickly and easily.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Saw all or horizontal metal cutting band saw......Regards, Rod

P,S. or a pencil and a hand saw.

When I put in my dust collection I used a jig saw, handsaw, and multitool.

JKJ

One of these. Not everything needs to be done with a machine.

s132842139448525145_p367_i1_w640.jpeg

Blog Entries
    MY 6" pipe was Sewer/Drain (aka thin wall) so perhaps not quite the same as cutting thicker material. In my case, I cut many pieces on my miter saw without any issues ever - slowly cut as deep as the blade can reach, rotate the pipe towards me (against the direction of the spinning blade) with my left hand until the cut is done. The blade in the kerf kept my material nicely square and I never had spiral cuts etc.

For smaller cuts, such as cutting a 6" length into two 3" lengths, I wasn't comfortable with this method as my left hand would be too close to the spinning blade. I cut those by hand with a saw like the one linked above.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

We have a winner! I was in the pipe trades for years and cut a million miles of PVC/ABS. I was out of that business for a few decades but when I remodeled the place and work around the property I happened to pick up the Lenox saw Roger shows. I was so surprised at what a clean and square cut it would make. Short money, replaceable blade. The, well one of, the right tools for the job

As others have stated, make a make shift "wrap-a-round" from paper, or better yet some 2" emery cloth sand paper (remember circumference = 3.145 x diameter so 3.145 x 6.625 = 20 13/16" so a 24" piece with a little over lap would be perfect). As to the cut, it you have a reciprocating saw use a 6" fine tooth blade and you'll be in like flint. A miter saw can't cut through something that's larger than it's max depth.

One trick I had to use was to put a piece of 1x2 scrap in front of the fence. This moved the pipe far enough forward that it did not touch the raised parts of the fence that hold the hold downs etc. This kept the pipe parallel to the fence not cockeyed off a high point. The scrap actually never got cut which surprised me at first.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    One of these. Not everything needs to be done with a machine.

s132842139448525145_p367_i1_w640.jpeg
    I was to write that. Fully agree you.