Thread: interesting experience during glue up

interesting experience during glue up

I am sure others have seen this, but it was my first time. I had some cherry and put a stub mortise with my Festool in it to join it. When I put glue in the mortise and installed the stub tenon and then joined the pieces glue came out of what were probably boring insect holes on two face sides of the piece. Really cool.

Brian

Did you see any powder post beetles doing the back stroke?

I have seen that a lot if I am using old wormy chestnut(which I use on occasion). The glue may come out any number of holes.
    It is surprising where all the chambers lead.

Jim

Won't be really cool if you start seeing frass from somewhere else.

I have never had it come out of an existing hole but I have had it crack thru the wood due to hydraulic pressure of the dowel in the hole.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Sometimes in, some species, I've seen yellow glue push through 3"of capillaries and ooze out of the endgrain. It's fascinating what pressure can do with fluids. I've also had this same phenomena ruin pieces when tinted epoxy just wicked right into places it wasn't intended to be.

I made a couple of end grain cutting boards for my kids one time using oak. About 3" thick if I remember right. Once done, started flooding with mineral oil to seal up the end grain. Oak, being porous, just kept sucking up the oil through capillary action. Oil went al the way through.... Only reason I used oak was that I had little blocks (lots of them) of it and didn't know what else to do with them. They look great but never did get them sealed no matter how much oil I flooded on. And I knew that oak was not a recommended wood for end grain cutting boards when I started!! Neither of my kids use them as cutting boards, say they are too pretty to use, just kitchen decoration now. Randy