Thread: Quick Project

Quick Project

A welcome distraction from my current project. Giving an I.SORBY chisel I picked up a while ago a new lease of life.

I Sorby.jpg

I had a short piece of beech that proved ideal. The beech was dirty and had honing oil on it and was destined for the burn pile.

Rough Blank.jpg

This chisel has a beast of a tang! As we all know, fixing a new handle is pretty easy on a tanged chisel. I just drilled pilot holes of different sizes at different depths. Chisel was then held in the vice and driven onto the tang.

Chisel Blank.jpg

The blank was well oversize and I cut it back with my D8

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_S4zWkj...=14baaqp2oxc2j

Once size was near enough I roughly set out an octagonal section and used a block plane to refine the profiles by eye.

Shaping Chisel Handle 1.jpg

Once I was happy I cut a small bevel to meet the boster. On a nice old chisel hande the handle goes down to the bolster. However, this used to have a turned boxwood handle (split) with brass ferrule. It was a compromise that gave the handle the feel I wanted and is similarin feel to a large carving gouge I have.

Shaping Chisel Handle 2.jpg

I shaped the top with a rasp and and rasped the top, I refined this a touch more with a file but left it at that.

Rasping Handle.jpg

A nice way to spend an evening.

Chisel Before Wax.jpg

Chisel Before Wax 2.jpg

A coat of wax later, time will add colour. I have a few more to do in time, for when the next distraction is needed!

With the coat of wax and beside an earlier I.SORBY gouge and modern brand

After Wax.jpg

That shape has always been my favourite for handles, comfortable to hold and use. Esthetically I like the simple shape better than turned.

Blog Entries
    Great way to make a handle for those without a lathe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

And a fine distraction for the rest of us also.
    Thanks.

Yes, ceratinly a good way to spend an evening!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I am kind of a late convert to the octagonal handles. I started making them in 2008 after thirty years of making turned handles. One advantage to octagonal handles that has not been mentioned is that it is very easy to alter the angle of the hole to accommodate a tang that is slightly crooked. If you leave the lower portion of the handle a little fat then you can get the chisel lined up and then taper the handle to match the bolster.

Here are two 19th century English chisels. The smaller one has a hickory handle, an indication that it was imported without a handle. The square tang can be inserted four different ways, but it is crooked in every one except this one, so the maker compensated with the hole to make it straight. The larger chisel has a handle I made. I made the handle long to compensate for the wear on the chisel; though it is well worn I brought it back to an optimum length. I do the doming of the top of the chisel on the lathe, very much the easiest way.

Chisel handles.jpg