Thread: Pfeil 11/1 Uneven Factory Grind and a question on Stropping Tiny Tools

Pfeil 11/1 Uneven Factory Grind and a question on Stropping Tiny Tools

Greetings,

Finally got around to ordering some Tools and try some Figure Carving and detail work, the Tools arrived today and looking at the Pfeil 11/1, Veiner? i hope thats the correct term, one side wall of it is significantly thicker than the other. Meaning that the Outside Profile one side is pretty much a flat while the other is much more rounded and thicker, i hope the picture shows what i mean.

Pfeil 11.1.jpg

Now I've never owned a Tool like this before no idea if one side is too thin or the other too thick i.e. what the tool should look like. Question is just use it as is, send it back ?

For Question 2 What to use for Strops on tools this small? using the tool to shape a piece of wood and some honing compound should work to get the burr of the inside correct? or is there a better option? especially on the 1mm V Tool i imagine a proper inside fit is critical.

Regards Philipp

Hard to believe this is a new tool. I would send it back if it was mine.

Yes, a #11 is a veiner.

For my small veiners, I use a piece of thick leather (sole leather works) as it can be easily shaped to fit the flute. I have a piece that's about 4" square and shape the edge of one corner (1 - 1 1/2 inches is enough) and apply compound to the shaped surface. Since each corner has two adjoining edges, you can get 8 different shaped strops out of one square.

You can also use wood.
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

Ok I'll contact the shop and send it back then. Do have some leather lying about somewhere will give it a shot and see how that works out for me. thanks Dave

For really small tools I have used a couple of methods, for the inside I sometimes use string that's been had Tormek PA-70 or other compound or loose abrasive worked into it. For the outside a leather strop should work fine.

Another method, get some bees wax about 1/2 to 1 inch thick in a 9x12 cake pan or can be narrower but about that long. Sprinkle aluminum oxide or silicon oxide powder on the surface. The wax is soft enough with a little pressure you can strop the inside or outside.

I highly reccomend Leanord Lee's _Complete guide to sharpening_ for this one. His book is pretty straight forward on easy stuff like chisels, planes and axes. When he gets to gouges, the regular chisels with the curved edges, he goes off the high dive into the deep end; and then for wood carvers he pretty much starts out saying you got to be an expert on all the esay stuff I covered already and here is what to do. Check your local library, copywrite was a while ago.

Your red line drawing in MS Paint or similar could have been lifted directly from his book. And I got a ship maker's adze in my garage that needs, according to Mr. Lee, to go to a blacksmith for correction of factory flaws before I bother trying to sharpen it. I think Mr. Lee is correct for my adze, and he pretty much talked me out of taking up wood carving with his sharpening chapter on those tools.