Thread: What to do with two #3s?

What to do with two #3s?

So I was on the auction site the other day shopping for a #3. I found a Type 15 Stanley in good condition for auction ending a few hours later so I went ahead and put in a bid on it. I don't have great luck with auctions and tend to bid too high when I get attached to an item so I put in what I thought was a fairly low bid, not expecting to win, and kept shopping. Later I found a Type 11 in even better condition for "Buy it now" at the same price as I bid on the first one, so I went ahead and bought it. Well, a few hours later the auction on the first plane ended and lo and behold, I won. So now I have two #3s in the mail.

So now the question is what to do with them. Assuming neither has a deal-breaking flaw I'm thinking I'll set up the better of the two (probably the Type 11) as a smoother. I'm not sure what to do with the other. I already have a crappy no-name #4 set up as a scrub plane and I wouldn't want to convert a good plane for that purpose anyway. I've kind of been wishing I had a short jointer for small parts where a #7 is unwieldy. I was thinking a #5 but since I've got a spare now a #3 would work too for really small parts. Or if I can't find a use for it in my shop I may just gift it to a friend.

Hmmm, only 2?

I have a #3c, Type 11 AND a #3, type 11...by Stanley.....there is also a Sargent #408 in the til ( rough work) and a pair of #8 from Millers Falls...one was sold as a Craftsman.

I use whatever one is the sharpest that day, keeping the others on "Stand-by" just in case I hit something in the wood.....( don't ask about the #4 sized planes...)

Blog Entries
    Until recently there were 3 #3 size planes in my shop. One was given to my grandson.

It is often nice to have two planes of the same size so you don't have to stop and sharpen when a blade gets dull. One can be set for a fine cut and one for a thicker cut if need be.

It is also nice if one uses a 'traveling' kit for work outside the shop at times.

Otherwise you might be able to recoup your cost by selling it.

There is a Classifieds Listings here on the Creek if you become a Contributor, only $6.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Use them both as smoothers. When one starts to dull, bring out the other. When the second starts to dull, sharpen both of them. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I used to have a #3, but a good friend had more of a need for it than I so it went home with him. Sometimes I miss it, but, I'll make do.

Even if you do not need two, I would fix both and use them. If you find you like one more than the other and do not use them that often, get rid of the one you like the least. oooooorrrrrr, send one to Steve, I hear he could use a few more!

I would be tempted to make one with a more cambered blade, but, if you decided you prefer it to not be cambered, you cannot put back metal that you took off.

I'm a fan of the #3 plane. I have one from around WWII that is probably my favorite plane, and one of my most used. I tend to use it on oak and other harder woods. I certainly wouldn't mind having another.

I am also a fan of multiple smoothing planes. I have three #4s within reach of my bench. I like to have one set with a little more depth of cut to pull off the machine marks quickly and then have one or two set fine for the final planing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Lucas View Post
    So I was on the auction site the other day shopping for a #3. I found a Type 15 Stanley in good condition for auction ending a few hours later so I went ahead and put in a bid on it. I don't have great luck with auctions and tend to bid too high when I get attached to an item so I put in what I thought was a fairly low bid, not expecting to win, and kept shopping. Later I found a Type 11 in even better condition for "Buy it now" at the same price as I bid on the first one, so I went ahead and bought it. Well, a few hours later the auction on the first plane ended and lo and behold, I won. So now I have two #3s in the mail.

So now the question is what to do with them. Assuming neither has a deal-breaking flaw I'm thinking I'll set up the better of the two (probably the Type 11) as a smoother. I'm not sure what to do with the other. I already have a crappy no-name #4 set up as a scrub plane and I wouldn't want to convert a good plane for that purpose anyway. I've kind of been wishing I had a short jointer for small parts where a #7 is unwieldy. I was thinking a #5 but since I've got a spare now a #3 would work too for really small parts. Or if I can't find a use for it in my shop I may just gift it to a friend.
    Joshua, from the tone of your post, and the choice of and comments about the Type 11, it sounds to me that you are thinking that the Type 15 is a waste. Well, my Stanley #3 is a UK-made version, which is likely to be about Type 20 (if they typed these planes). It significantly out-pointed Type 11s ... largely because it was not worn out. I upgraded the blade and chipbreaker. It is a very fine plane. I guess that you will not know which you prefer until you have driven them. Sell the other? I have a Stanley #3 and a LN #3. Both are kept as there are sentimental reasons involved. Otherwise I do not have duplicates. That is not a rule I impose on others.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    it sounds to me that you are thinking that the Type 15 is a waste.
    Not at all! I know some people hold the Type 11 in higher regard but I don't have much of a preference. I'm just guessing that the Type 11 is in better condition based on the photos (I don't have either plane in hand yet). They both appear to be in good condition, but the Type 15 has a bit more cosmetic rust and some of the finish on the tote has flaked off.