Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jointer Dust Flange Design

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You can use the adapters that slip into non-Nordfab duct to make the adjustable elbow compatible. I use them for quick connect drops in my shop while all my duct work is snaplock.
    A thought, certainly. But, The Blastgate Co. will make a 9* El for $36, so ordered a few minutes ago.��

Building one would involve sheet metal work, and, umm....well, have I mentioned that I can sever a finger just picking my nose?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    A thought, certainly. But, The Blastgate Co. will make a 9* El for $36, so ordered a few minutes ago.��

Building one would involve sheet metal work, and, umm....well, have I mentioned that I can sever a finger just picking my nose?
    That's a good price...you might suggest they make up several and stock them given it's something folks with that same system will be needing.

It occurs to me that folks with plastic duct, if they can find a LONG RADIUS elbow, could cut out a section to about the degree of bend they need and use sleeves to connect it to straight pipe. There are multiple ways to slay this beast!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here is jointer dust hood/shroud from SCM spare parts website ($76):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I would at least have expected them to use a bellmouth flange.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Here is jointer dust hood/shroud from SCM spare parts website ($76):
    For $76, you probably can't make one that nice. I'd just buy it and modify to fit.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    For $76, you probably can't make one that nice. I'd just buy it and modify to fit.

Erik
    Agreed. I wish SCM would put on the product info page some of the part specs and dimensions of the connection to the jointer. I could easily make something to adapt to the jointer, but just from looking at the picture the mouth of that hood looks awfully narrow for my machine.

SCM North America has sent photos of the jointer and serial number plate to SCM Italy to see if there is something they have that would work. I have other parts I want to get, like the pork chop guard that went MIA sometime in the last 40 years. Not sure if Italy is still on lockdown or not, but I'm not holding my breath on this angle. Still working to get a sheet metal fabricator to whip out something for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    They're a bit cheeky with the price. They aren't even doing a full weld on that, and are using cheap standard caulk. Seems like they're telling you they can't be bothered.

If that's the design , no need for those guys. Grab some 1/4" ply and 4 or 5 or better yet a 6" quick connect fitting and make your own. Less than an hour fab time and under 20 bucks in material.
    What Dave said. Thats what I did and attached with rare earth magnets and a thin gasket as I didn't want to drill holes to mount to my PM 60 8" jointer nor scratch the paint. I use 5" ducting to it and works great, been running that way for about 5 years now, no backup of material at all. Have 1.75 hp blower with 5" ducting to all machines. Randy

Wouldn't something like this be an option if your creating your own design?

thesheetmetalkid.com/register-boots/ph1-duct-boot/14x8x8-ph1-duct-register-boot-no-extension/

Yoga mats are a cheap source of gasket material for attaching flanges etc.
    Bill D

Another option is a make a mold or form out of wood then wrap it with fiberglass. I’m about to do this for a under table port for my t23 shaper with carbon fiber.. As I type I’m actually wrapping the fence port I’m carbon fiber. If you made a mold and uses a material that would allow it to not stick you should be good and it should be easy as all this stuff is readily available online.

Time consuming but easy and I’m thinking a great result. Joe Calhoun I think know of a company I’m Connecticut that will bends up a nice one for you.