Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jointer Dust Flange Design

Following up on my comment. Had I been joining a lot of wood, the accumulation could have covered the motor. The stand does not have a bottom. Thinking more about this, I have way too low collection volume and the chips are large and have irregular shape which increases drag. I need to get that cyclone that has been on my wish list for far too long!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

What you are looking for is a offset square to round. Any metal fab shop should be able to handle this, HVAC shops don't usually deal with dust collection and make fittings for blown air, so there would be hang ups. I'm a journeyman sheet metal mechanic, but work in industrial fabrication. A flat plate will work, it really depends on how much CFM your duct collector is pulling. Also if you plan on having a fab shop make you a fitting, provide them with a drawing of what your after. Attached is a something I came up with quick. I had to use paint since, I don't have CAD at home.

square to round.png

I have made several large planer dust hoods. All you really need to know is size of square part, diameter of hook up and height. It's simple math from there. Just need snips and a half way decent way of making ok bends.

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Following up on my comment. Had I been joining a lot of wood, the accumulation could have covered the motor. The stand does not have a bottom. Thinking more about this, I have way too low collection volume and the chips are large and have irregular shape which increases drag. I need to get that cyclone that has been on my wish list for far too long!
    If you are expecting that adding a cyclone separator to your existing dust collector will increase suction/flow, that will not happen (except in the case where it keeps your filter from getting clogged as quickly). Cyclones incur a pressure drop in the process of whirling all that air around to sling the dust out of it.

If you are seeking permission to purchase a new dust collector with matched cyclone separator, then permission granted!

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Try getting a quote from The Blastgate Company. Go to their square to round page. https://www.blastgateco.com/Spiral-Wyes-Tees-Square.php
    I had them make me a right angle square to round 6" fitting. I did a Sketchup drawing of what I wanted and then they sent back a different drawing in their cad system that gave them bends that were achievable. I modified what they sent and they agreed they could make it.
    BGC.JPG Uni2.jpg

I made my own square to round adapter for my WB sander, just took a piece of thin sheet metal, marked the square on one edge, bent the square only about 1 1/2" on that end, then wrapped the other end around a piece of 6" pipe. Put a couple pop rivets in it to hold its shape, then squared the ends with my snips. Has worked well for years now.

Glad my instincts told me not to pull the trigger on the Nordfab hood. I know they do ducting, but you'd think they know a thing or two about best practices for connecting to their systems. The DC is a clear vue Pentz EF5, 8" intake, about 1900 CFM. Thanks for the suggestions...and for the drawing Ryan. I'll draw something up in sketchup and pay a visit to a local fab shop to make something up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Leonard View Post
    Glad my instincts told me not to pull the trigger on the Nordfab hood. I know they do ducting, but you'd think they know a thing or two about best practices for connecting to their systems. The DC is a clear vue Pentz EF5, 8" intake, about 1900 CFM. Thanks for the suggestions...and for the drawing Ryan. I'll draw something up in sketchup and pay a visit to a local fab shop to make something up for me.
    How did you deal with the 9* inlet?

I had Nordfab make a custom 9 degree elbow. The duct runs straight out of the intake to about 9ft and then turns level there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Leonard View Post
    I had Nordfab make a custom 9 degree elbow. The duct runs straight out of the intake to about 9ft and then turns level there.
    Thanks. That is the method I'm leaning towards, but not sure yet who or even IF someone would make a 9* elbow for this transition back to horizontal.

Back-up plan is (was) a straight run to near the ceiling, then a pair of hose adapters and 4-6" length of flex hose to get horizontal. I also considered a pair of 90* ELs, but cringe at the turbulence & performance loss so close to the cyclone inlet.

With metal duct, an adjustable elbow can easily be manipulated to any odd and small angle and then sealed. At that point in the system, any disruption of air flow will be minimal, especially with that size duct work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    With metal duct, an adjustable elbow can easily be manipulated to any odd and small angle and then sealed. At that point in the system, any disruption of air flow will be minimal, especially with that size duct work.
    Unfortunately, I have not found adjustable elbows compatible with Nordfab or 'Clamp Together' ducting.

I made this one about 15 years ago.Dust-fitting.jpgDust-fitting-front.jpg It has worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Unfortunately, I have not found adjustable elbows compatible with Nordfab or 'Clamp Together' ducting.
    You can use the adapters that slip into non-Nordfab duct to make the adjustable elbow compatible. I use them for quick connect drops in my shop while all my duct work is snaplock.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    I made this one about 15 years ago.Dust-fitting.jpgDust-fitting-front.jpg It has worked well.
    Can't imagine any other design would be much better. Nice job!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!