Thread: Social Distancing tool box with removable legs

Social Distancing tool box with removable legs

I have been accumulating timber framing tools, and noticing on youtube timber framers tend to have tools scattered all over their work area. My wife has noticed my growing collection has been landing on the chest freezer in the garage, which has become an issue twice a week for one week too many ;-)

The first couple pics are my felling tool box, all the small crap I took with me when I was a younger man and felling my own firewood. If I couldn't keep my saw running out of this box it was time to call it a day - but the orange one stayed in the bed of my truck when I was out in the woods. I wanted something up off the ground, adapted Chris Schwarz's staked table construction, and ended up with a toolbox built like a staked table with easily removable legs - the floor of the toolbox being the top of Chris' table.

I made zero trips to the BORG making this and it isn't exactly what I wanted, so it will probably last longer than I do. It does get the job done, for having been made of garage scrap and screws already in stock. The legs are easily removable- I'll probably sand down the tenons on the legs a little bit in the humid part of summer- but assembled on three legs it is pretty sturdy. I will absolutely run it outdoors some this summer to see how it does.

I originally cut the legs 25" total length. I did have to use facebook help wanted to find someone with a lathe. The longest stock the found lathe could handle was 18.5 inches so I cut the legs down to fit the lathe bed, and wore a cloth mask while I was visiting the hired helper. Tenons on the ends of the 2x2 nominal legs are 1" actual. Included angle is about 15 degrees.

I have no expectation my joinery will be considered an exemplar of excellence, but the idea of a toolbox with removable legs might be useful to someone.

FWIW I did glue and screw the 2x and ply bottom pieces together. Handle is QSWO with one coat of of BLO on it and bellied like a timber floor joist. I did put a bunch of pegs on one side to keep the saws and my framing square upright, but the box alone was getting heavy quick so I stopped adding weight. My plan is to take this to a job site, set it up, work all day and carry it back to my truck, not move it several times every day. I suspect I will put a couple more leg holes in the bottom so there will be two holes/legs in the front/heavy side with one leg on center in the back under the saws. Bottom and sides is half inch nominal 5ply with Doug fir veneers ACX, I used some other scrap for the ends.

20200421_214302[1].jpg20200421_214319[1].jpg20200421_214338[1].jpg20200421_221224[1].jpg20200421_221249[1].jpg

Sturdy box that will come in handy over many years, love the pencil holder!