Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outfeed Table Design

Blog Entries

Outfeed Table Design

Hi all, hope you all are hiding from CV19 and are safe and well. I am finally getting things organized in my new 850 SF workshop. I have never had a table saw out-feed table but am looking to build one. Any good suggestions, plans photos, must haves, must not do's etc.. My saw is a SawStop 52" cabinet saw so the dust collection is on the lower rear so I have to take that in to account. Thanks all.

I'm often moving my tablesaw. Sometimes it goes in the middle of the shop so I can get big parts on it. Sometimes it goes in the corner so I can assemble big projects in the middle of the room. If the outfeed table stands on the floor, it has to be realigned with the saw any time either one of them moves, because shop floors are not flat. A better scheme is to fasten the outfeed table to the saw's base. It stays aligned no matter what. It is also good to make the outfeed fold down, so there's more room for other operations in the shop. Mine is from HTC, and it works well. But there are many others out there. And of course you can build your own.

I made this one last year to go behind my 36" Sawstop.

It's on lockable casters, so I can move it, if necessary. I have the Incra LS-TS fence on my saw, so this outfield table locks into place with a couple of hand screws.

I made the table top as an adjustable height torsion box. The torsion box isn't really necessary, but the top height adjustability makes it easy to align to the height of the saw table.

The top gives me a little over 50" past the end of the blade, so I can cut and 8' length without the work piece falling off the outfeed table.

The torsion box under construction

The torsion box top sits on the four columns in the cabinet

4. I don't have the space for a dedicated or large outfeed table. I built my router table with adjustable height feet and at the correct height to serve as an outfeed. I just remove the fence when I'm not using the router.

DSC_1295.jpg

DSC_1292.jpg

Not ideal but a good enough compromise for me.

Cheers, Dom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine is similar to Chris's, albeit, not at nice. I too have a bank of drawers for storage built in. I recessed the ends into the cabinet about 3" and installed dowels for my saw blade storage. That way, they're protected, but quickly accessible. The other major difference is that mine is height adjustable at the floor, rather than the top. This allows me to "add on" to my assembly bench when necessary.

Everyone here has nice ones....I did the Woodwhisper's plywood version. Sorry, no picture

In addition to suggestions you get here, there are literally dozens of threads on this subject where you may find some additional ideas.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have posted this numerous times, but here it is again (I have since extended the miter slots into the table):
    NOW you tell me...

Chris and Dominik's are both nicer than any of the furniture in my house. Which I guess is a clear sign of how lazy I am.

Tim, how are things in Spring? I worked at that Ford dealer seems like 100 years ago. I'm in the process of making an outfeed table also. Going to make it fixed with electrical in it, obviously storage underneath. The saw is on a mobile base, so I can move the saw to work on it. I might use that side of the table for cold storage. 850 sq/ft, that's awesome!

Blog Entries
    Similar to ChrisA. Built back in 2015 as an assembly table that morphed during design into a double duty table.

TS-Outfeed (38).jpg

The offset top allows clearance for the tablesaw lower port, pathway for the overarm as well as router table and auxiliary port for machines that I roll over to this area.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-02-2020 at 8:44 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Hi Ben, thanks. We moved from Spring about 18 months ago to about 50 mil NW of San Antonio. Built a new house in the Hill Country at 1970' elevation. Slightly different than the Spring area. Thanks for pointing out the Spring, TX on my profile, got it changed to Comfort, TX now.

Steve Johnson of downtoearthwoodworks has a nice series of videos on YouTube for his SawStop outfeed table. He shows how he incorporated leveling feet into the torsion box top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K81...LrN62_sfSO-4mt

My shop is only about half the size of yours. My outfeed table is also my assembly table. It is 3x7 feet. It has an upper top of 3/4 plywood bored with 20mm holes on 4 inch centers. The lower top is 8 inches lower and solid. This is the idea of Ron Paulk (upper and lower top). Below that is storage. It is on swivel locking casters but doesn't get moved far. I cut sheet goods on this table with my track saw, normally with an inch of foam separating them. I made the bench 1/4 lower than the table saw. My concrete floor is somewhat uneven and I think a little lower works fine. I really like this setup. In my shop things have to do more than one thing whenever possible and this bench does that big time. The lower top lets you have tools available without cluttering the upper top.

This is the one I built a few years ago before Sawstop offered a folding outfeed for the PCS saws. If I was looking today, I would first look at the one Sawstop sells. Mine works fine for my needs though.