Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Compressor Recommendations

Shop Compressor Recommendations

Hey All,

I hope this question doesn't violate any forum policies. If it does I apologize.

Like many of us, I run my shop in my two car garage. Space and noise are a large concern. I have an old Dewalt air compressor but it is way too loud to use on anything but the largest needs.

I would like to replace that compressor with a new one, and make sound/noise the single largest criteria. Size is obviously a concern as well, but I believe most lower pressure/lower noise units are pretty small. I don't do much with a compressor, but if I had one that was quiet, I would like to use my fleet of nailers, and having air available to blow sawdust out of mortices etc. would be a big help.

So - what are you guys using, and how loud is it? I have looked at the California Air Compressor line and they seem great - but I would love some recommendations.

Thanks Folks

Joe

Joe

It really depends on how much flow you need.
    I have two air compressors from Rolair. I have the small portable JC10, 2.4cfm at 90psi, which you could set on the floor next to the kitchen table while eating and not have to raise your voice over. It will run a small nailer, but if you're using a framing nailer it will slow you down waiting for it.
    I also have the Rolair,V5160PT03X. This is a 5HP 60 gallon vertical,17 cfm, at 90psi. It sits at the front of my garage, and if the window is open in the kitchen, I can hear it cycle. This is about 60'. My FEIN shop vac is louder than the compressor.
    I can easily be in the garage with it when it cycles. Yeah, I can hear it, but it won't blast your ear drums out. My closest neighbor is probably 175' away, and you would have to be standing in his driveway listening for it, to hear it. Inside his house, he can't hear it. I know, I asked. I don't want to be ,"that neighbor".
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a California Air Tools compressor, I think the smallest one they make. It is very quiet, and my understanding is that their whole line was designed with quiet as a major criteria. The owners manual wasn't too great, but I'd get another if I needed a bigger one.

Blog Entries
    Joe,

Very happy with a Jun-Air cabinet style unit that I bought used.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I've got a PC pancake one and a couple old 1.5HP Craftsmans from the 1970s: the old belt driven, two cylinder, 240V, 30 gallon tanks ones. The old Craftsmans are much, much quieter. They are by no means silent, but they don't have that "Getting buzzed by a B-17" sound that the pancake does. I think it is because the RPMs are much lower. The pancake is much more portable.

California Air Tools 10 gallon since January. The 25 year-old HF it replaced was loud, but cheap. The CAT is actually quiet enough to talk around, and does what i need. I'm not a heavy user--but seems like it would keep up with one framing nailer if not a pair.
    earl

I have a Rolair JC10+ that I’ve used both in the shop and on the job site and it’s perfect for smaller to medium demand tasks. I wouldn’t nail off sheathing / plywood with it because I like it too much, but anything less than that it could likely handle. Any and all trim work / smaller nail guns, light framing, blow gun, etc.

It’s very compact (about 16 1/2” x 16 1/2” x ~15” tall) and extremely quiet when it cycles. Like, don’t even need to raise your voice when it interrupts your conversation quiet. It’s fairly easy and ergonomic to move around as well if needed.

This seems like a given and more of a concern that I’ve run into with cheapskates on job site / carpentry work, but a leaky air hose, fitting, or tool can really put a drain on the compressor that makes it cycle way more than it should. I like the 1/4” Flexzilla hoses because they don’t kink easily and have no memory when moving around with them or rolling them up.
    Still waters run deep.

Another recommendation for California Air
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

The Makita low rpm oiled units are great for the money.

I have a mac2400 I have abused for at least a decade, never changed the oil I first put in it or even really checked it for that matter. They are quiet and will keep up with multiple nail guns and doesn't seem to bother it to run for a longer time either.

I would recommend a big old belt drive unit. But change the pulleys and run it around 900 rpm or less at no more then 100psi. check for mimimum rpm and go to that speed. Put a muffler on the intake.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    The Makita low rpm oiled units are great for the money.

I have a mac2400 I have abused for at least a decade, never changed the oil I first put in it or even really checked it for that matter. They are quiet and will keep up with multiple nail guns and doesn't seem to bother it to run for a longer time either.
    +1

My buddy made a mobile base for mine. Nice and quiet. I run it off a HF air hose reel. Nice to throw in the trunk and go do a friend's deck. However, I've gone cordless on my brad nailer, as it's easier with no air hose to manage.

I bought an Industrial Air 30 gallon upright with oil lube 2 stage compression, 2 HP motor, 6.2 cfm at 40 psi and 5.3 cfm at 90 psi. I wanted the 220V motor to keep from overloading my 110V outlets. I run it in parallel with 2 HP vacuum unit since both will not usually run at same time and combined are only 16 amps on a 30amp circuit. The oil lube units are quieter than the non-lube and unit is bearable but does not run often with the 30 gallon tank. The vertical unit has wheels should I want to move it (not often) but with 220V it is not easy to move to a work area outside shop and I use hose to work outside shop. The water drain is better situated on bottom of tank than on the side of some of the pancake units to drain the tank (try tipping a pancake and see how much water is below the drain). I strongly suggest going with a 220V unit if available and it will work to not overload the 110V outlet circuits, otherwise a compressor will likely need a dedicated circuit for the larger 110V units.

I have the smallest California Air Tool compressor they make, and compared to my old Craftsman hotdog compressor, its more of a loud hum than a roar. For home/hobby use, I wouldn't look at anything else.

I replaced my compressor with a 10 lb CO2 tank. You can buy a aluminum tank and regulator for around $200, I bought mine used from a Jeep enthusiast (they use them to air up tires on the trail) on craigslist for about $100. They have all the capacity you need for a home woodshop. I looked at a chart and a 10lb tank is good for 6000 brad nails or 1500 framing nails, also great for blowing out sawdust.
    You get the tank refilled at any fire equipment dealer, welding gas supply, or soda machine company.
    I pay $20 to get mine refilled.

Powertank is one commercial brand

Steve
    Last edited by Stephen Bandirola; 04-22-2020 at 11:04 AM.

I second the Makita big bore lube compressors. If I did not have my 60 gallon IR I would have gotten the Mac700, or the next size up. Energy consumption versus needs places it right in the middle versus too big or too small.