Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup Software/Security

Blog Entries

Backup Software/Security

Having just cleared over 60 GB of files from my N360_backup folder (Norton) then having it repopulate three days later, I am looking for other solutions. I see it gets terrible reviews as a backup program. Cloud based or external hard drive (I have a WD Passport)? I wouldn't mind dumping Norton completely as I am now running Win 10 which, I am told is quite secure without addons. I do a lot of surfing. The reviews on https://www.cloudwards.net/ suggest Backblaze at $60 per year as a cloud based, unlimited storage solution. What do you folks do for security and backup?
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    I use an inexpensive 1TB USB drive and "AllwaySync". I run incremental backups about once a week and have for longer than I care to think about. I've been using Allway for many years. Even when I worked in IT I had trouble filling a 1TB drive. Probably just file management habits left over from before storage was cheap.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-21-2020 at 3:09 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm paranoid so I have cloud based - Carbonite - and a small local RAID server that I back up to. The small server I have is Synology and I have four 8TB drives in it which gives me a bit less than 24TB of storage. The reason for cloud based is that if your house burns down and your computer and server is destroyed you still have everything in the cloud.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I've used the free version of Veeam for years. It is rock solid, fast & reliable. I have a fireproof safe with a hard drive in it for back ups. And it isn't a recourse hog. I don't notice at all when it runs for it's 3 - 5 minute daily backup. I highly recommend it. Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is the product that is free.

I use Google drive for critical data and a USB drive for local backup. There are many options for backup for home machines. Acronis is one that I've used before and it worked well for backup and file recovery.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have a multi-TB USB drive and use Acronis True Image.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had a lot of trouble with Acronis and now use Macrium Reflect for full disk backup. The free version seems to do the same thing as the pay version.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I use an inexpensive 1TB USB drive and "AllwaySync". I run incremental backups about once a week and have for longer than I care to think about. I've been using Allway for many years. Even when I worked in IT I had trouble filling a 1TB drive. Probably just file management habits left over from before storage was cheap.
    +1 for Allwaysync

Works great with alot of options.
    1 time purchase
    You setup exactly what to sync, how to sync, and when to sync.

You can have it perfectly mirror a folder or drive or it set it up where it'll never delete anything on the backup even if you delete it in the main folder.
    You can have it sync at a certain time or date or have it sync instantly or 5min, or 10min after a change is made.
    Super cool program.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Windows?

I asked my son that question a couple of years ago. He recommended Macrium Reflect and has been using it for a decade. This is a professional program used by businesses and corporations as well as personal users. It uses both full and incremental backups. It's not free but sometimes you get what you pay for. The one-time cost for home users is quite reasonable considering the quality and reputation. Setting it up is not for the faint of heart.

I schedule several backups a week and rotate between three multi-terabyte external drives so a complete drive failure won't lose more than a couple of days. The disk space is automatically maintained by removing the oldest backups. I use dual 500gb solid state drives on this laptop and the incremental backups can be very quick. Full backups can take a while.

There is a free evaluation period.
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

JKJ

I'm pretty sure that the home version of Macrium reflect can be used free. I have two computers and only purchased one copy. I installed the free version on my other computer and it works the same as the pay version and I've had it on my computer for several years. I get updates on both copies automatically. I'm pretty sure the free home version is the same as the pay home version (which is different from the business version).

I think their philosophy is that if they can get you to use it you'll eventually buy it and not somebody else's product. And giving you updates doesn't cost them anything. I don't think you get any support with the free version.

Mike

Question for those of you using online services for backup: If you get nailed with a ransomware attack, and files are encrypted, are your online backups protected from being encrypted? Any local drives connected at the time of attack will get encrypted.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Question for those of you using online services for backup: If you get nailed with a ransomware attack, and files are encrypted, are your online backups protected from being encrypted? Any local drives connected at the time of attack will get encrypted.
    I think this is the way Carbonite works: Files are encrypted by Carbonite prior to being shipped over the Internet and stored on their servers. That way, even if someone was watching your Internet connection they could not see what your files are.

You can access (see or download) your files from any computer as long as you have your ID and password. I believe they said that they cannot see your files (because of the encryption) when they are stored on their server.

So if you had ransomware and they encrypted the files on your computer Carbonite might begin copying those files (because they are changed) to their servers. But Carbonite keeps backups for 30 days so as long as you access Carbonite within 30 days, you can see (and download) your regular files.

I suspect most backup services do a similar thing.

Mike

[You can't really upload files to Carbonite. The only way files get uploaded to their servers is when you change a file - or add a new one - and Carbonite detects the change or addition. In that case, Carbonite will upload the file(s).]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-22-2020 at 12:11 AM.

I don't worry much about whole disk backup. I can recreate a basic OS install in about 10 minutes (linux user). It does take time to recreate the settings. My concern is data, that is irreplacable. I use a GUI front end for rsync that has worked so far. I haven't automated the process, I suppose I could but haven't felt the need so far. A risk I see with backups is file or disk locking malware with delayed execution. As I understand it, malware could infect my disk but does not do a thing for, let's say 40 days. 40 days after infection the malware triggers and encrypts my hard drive. No problem, install the backup made a few days ago. Install the back up, the malware triggers and I don't have any backups that are not infected. I guess the hope is that there is a fix for that particular piece of malware discovered in the meantime.

I do the local backup to a removable disk.

Reminder to those doing similar, to keep that backup disk normally NOT connected/powered up to your computer. Ransomware will see it just like it sees all your other drives.

Just my opinion, but there's no such thing as 'online security'. 3 times my plastic has been hacked, and in late 2018 my bank account was robbed of $17k by 2 different sources. Cash under my pillow is more 'secure'...

One headline from today: Logins of WHO, Gates Foundation employees circulate on fringes of the internet -- ouch...

And just a few minutes ago on our local news was a story of some database to do with people filing online for unemployment or stimulus money was just hacked, exposing info on something like 8500 people, best I recall- don't know the source of the story or better details at the moment, right now I can find no other news story about it, not even on the local news's website..

No cloud for me... it's just other people's computers, I'd rather just use my own.

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle