Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Titebond glue expire?

I buy it by the gallon and then put it into smaller bottles for use. In the cost of a project, glue is cheap so I would recommend if you have any concerns about the glue throw it away.

Of course, you can do a test glue up of some scrap and then break it apart to see how well if glued.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use a mustard bottle to dispense glue, I find it much easier to keep the tip clean than the small bottles that Titebond comes in.

Dijon or just regular yellow mustard?

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I use a mustard bottle to dispense glue, I find it much easier to keep the tip clean than the small bottles that Titebond comes in.
    That's a good idea. The yellow mustard bottles should work well with that top. The small Titebond bottles always get clogged at the tip.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I don't have an answer to the question, but I learned today that it sure doesn't stick to wood when the moisture content is high.
    IMG_1614.jpg

Thank you for all the advise.

The glue has never frozen, and it's stored in my mostly dark garage, so I know it's ok from that standpoint.

The serial number showing the date is a big help, so I can see just how long I've had it. Sometimes the years slip by faster than I care to admit.

Yes, I agree, glue is cheap in the big picture and I won't chance a project going off the rails due to bad glue. Wood and time are much more valuable.

I think I'll re-evaluate the value of a gallon of glue.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Dijon or just regular yellow mustard?
    Yellow, the bottle is only 55 cents (as I recall) at ALDI when it's full of mustard so it's much more affordable than Dijon. I used two screw top ones for about 10 years, but a year ago I switched to a new bottle with a cap, and it's much handier. The screw threads would get full of glue occasionally on the old ones, but the new one is very low maintenance.

If it is separated I'd probably pitch it myself unless I had non critical jobs to use it on. Then if it was a lot, I guess I might be tempted to mix it up and test it, but I don't see myself using it on a customer's musical instrument or anything too critical even if it tested out okay.

On the other hand, I have used glue that was pretty old without giving it much thought. Maybe I shouldn't do that though. I guess I have tended to buy smaller bottles more in recent years so i doubt I have had any get very old lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    I got this from the TiteBond site a few years ago.

I have used it in the store when I buy. Sometimes the glue at the rear of the shelf had not been cycled when the clerk restocked. It was old.

Titebond glue expiration
    -- Shelf life of two years
    Our current lot numbering system is a 10 digit code.

The format is: aymmddbat#.
    -- a stands for Made in the U.S.A.
    -- y is the last digit of the year of manufacture.
    -- mm represent the month

-- dd represent the day of the month.

The final four digits represent the batch number used for quality control purposes. Therefore, a product with the lot number A104270023 was manufactured on April 27, 2011.
    As of last year, Titebond has started using a 2-digit year code (i.e. ayymmddbat#). It's their Y2K moment!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    According to Titebond about 2 years. I personally mark mine with the date purchased for this reason.

http://www.titebond.com/App_Static/L..._ShelfLife.pdf
    It seems really strange to me that they list a two year shelf life and then don't put a date on the container in a form that is readable without looking up how to read it. People probably buy expired or nearly expired product from small retailers all the time without realizing it unless they have a lot of control of their supply chain on the retail side and pull product back long before expiration (doubtful). With a 2 year shelf life that only leaves a reasonable amount of time from manufacture to purchase of what? One year? Even that gives the customer only one year of shelf life, which isn't all that much. It is a good thing the 2 years is probably a pretty soft limit.

It seems kind of unethical to me. I have to think maybe two things are at play. First maybe the two year life is a pretty soft limit and with decent storage conditions perhaps it is likely to last quite a bit longer, and second they know that many of the stores they sell to will have it on the shelves for longer than two years or at least customers will balk at buying it when it is close to expiring so they hide the date.

Two years. Local consumer law demands all product must state their shelf life in the label, Titebond included.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Katz View Post
    As of last year, Titebond has started using a 2-digit year code (i.e. ayymmddbat#). It's their Y2K moment!
    I'm pleased you posted that, I bought this bottle about a month ago and that prior code didn't make sense, plus the HD, where I bought it was still a cow pasture in 2011.

Last year I made a test lamination of white oak and TB glue that was around five years old. It was in a tightly sealed one gallon container and had no visible signs of degradation. The test lamination is still holding together except for one board that has a 1/8" split. The glued joint held together just fine on both sides; the board split about 1/2" from the glued joint. That tells me that the glued joint was stronger than the 3/4" white oak was. When it comes to glue, that is good enough for me. Just one guys experience.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    I’m with Michael and Rob. I’ve never had TB go bad. As long as you store the gallon jugs in the proverbial cool dark place it’s apparently effective indefinitely.

if I had a failure and took it up with my supplier I will have made sure glue is within its time period as that is likely the first question he will ask before we talk stirring, temps, clamp time and pressure and and.

I just used some TiteBond Hide Glue that is 5 years old. Bought the 8 oz bottle so that was a help keeping the air contact down. Worked fine. One corner opened on me but that was because i think I forced it trying to plane against the corner less than 12 hours after glue up. Forced some glue back in the corner and clamped it. Corner solid again and good as new.

Only adverse comment is that I don't use it often and not used to how it runs a lot more than Titebond II and III. It seems like I'm constantly cleaning up sticky brown glue everywhere. Just need to get more familiar with working with it.