Thread: Amazing Discovery During Quarantine

Blog Entries

Amazing Discovery During Quarantine

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's cool!

I'm more than a bit 'genealogy challenged' so the other night something reminded me that my grandfather (dad's dad) was 'supposedly' the first postmaster of this town. Doing some googling turned up some of my family tree on dad's side. I was shocked and amused about my roots, and some of the weird ironies...

First shock: my dad was one of NINE kids. I've always thought that was a 'holy crap' deal, my grandparents raising nine kids.

Turns out they were mere also-ran's in the raising-kids department! My grandpa's parents had 14 kids..! Great grandpa was one of 16 kids, and great-grandma was on of 11 kids...great great grandpa was one of 12 kids, and great-great grandma was one of 8 kids... So far that's as far as I've gotten, and that's just on dad's side...

One of the Ironies; my youngest stepson always considered himself to be a world-class DJ, going back to when they scratched real records. Never actually had a job doing it... but the irony part, his pseudonym was DJ Tripp... My great-great grandmother's maiden name, was Tripp-- so I'm actually a Tripp, he's not.

And in contrast to finding relatives you DIDN'T know about nearby, I have 3 cousins, all sisters and their husbands, that have lived within 200 yards of me for over 20 years, their homes visible from our bedroom window, and I don't know which houses they live in...

(proof I don't get out much, and why this isolation thing is barely any different than before!)
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 04-24-2020 at 4:33 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    but the irony part, his pseudonym was DJ Tripp... My great-great grandmother's maiden name, was Tripp-- so I'm actually a Tripp, he's not.
    With all those large families how do you know he isn't from the Tripp line?

That would be quite the Tripp if you found out you married a third or fourth cousin.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I've been playing with Ancestry.com for a couple years now and have things traced back to the 13th century...it's fascinating stuff. Like the one wife (his first) that Henry the Eighth left her head intact is a relative on my mother's side via Catherine of Aragon's father, a King of Spain. And both my father's line and mother's line hit the Hapsburgs..."Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire"...which makes my parents "related". LOL DNA has actually helped me discover some new relatives including some that didn't know they were part of the family until they had the DNA matches. One of them is a cousin who found out who her real father was at age 50...she never felt the dad she grew up with was actually her father. And she was right. It's these more recent horizontal discoveries that have been the most rewarding because they led to real people and actual interaction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    One of them is a cousin who found out who her real father was at age 50.
    This kind of revelation makes me wonder how many divorces have been caused by knowledge gained through ancestery.com.

My father often told me one of the best things he did when he was young was to get lots.

Imagine my surprise, after turning 50, to discover he was talking about real estate.

jtk

It's funny how things go. I read Douglas MacArthur's biography. In it, Manchester says that MacArthur, Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill shared a common ancestor - a woman in the American Colonies, IIRC.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My mother was 1 of 16 children! She told us everyone in those days had a large family if they farmed for a living.
    She had 6 sisters and 10 brothers. They were reared on a dairy farm near Becker, MN. Raised row crops too.
    I had the privilege of knowing all but one who died in WWII.
    Family reunions were a hoot! I think I had ~70 cousins. Reunions lasted a weekend.
    GREAT memories.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

About half the states allow first cousins to marry with no restriction. FDR. Rooselvelt was a distant cousin to his wife.
    Bill D

It brings families together. I haven't spoken to my sister for 30 years but since this thing started we email 3 or 4 times a week.Just checkin on each other. Don't know what will happen when this is over we live 3000 miles apart but who knows.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    About half the states allow first cousins to marry with no restriction. FDR. Rooselvelt was a distant cousin to his wife.
    Bill D
    Quite common up to early 20th century. The Randolph family of Virginia had a lot of marriages like that. In the 18th
    century it was said "only a Randolph is good enough for a Randolph " WW 2 stirred the population a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Quite common up to early 20th century. The Randolph family of Virginia had a lot of marriages like that. In the 18th
    century it was said "only a Randolph is good enough for a Randolph " WW 2 stirred the population a lot.
    I understand that was also one way some wealthy families reduced the dillution of their fortunes. The Rothchilds (sp?) were another example.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

One other interesting "lost relative" situations that are popping up in the international adoption community is that DNA testing via Ancestry and other venues is identifying siblings who were adopted by different families and allowing them to find each other. I know of multiple instances of this in the adoption community with kids from Russia like we have.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    Of course, that's how we got the village idiot.

The Pharaohs of Egypt married their sisters. Of course they were not Egyptians so they were trying to keep their Greek blood lines pure. Maybe. afew to many marriages in that family. Claim is the final Czars of Russia spoke English, German and even a little Russian at home. For some reason they had a hard time understanding their subjects.
    Bill D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin..._United_States