Thread: Pandemic Shaker Table

Pandemic Shaker Table

When all the recent changes started, Tom McLaughlin announced he was going to do a 6 part series about making a Shaker Side Table w/ a drawer. I figured it would be fun to make along with him. It turned in to 8 sessions, but was really fun and I learned some new things. I cut my first actual mortises (not with a Domino), first dovetails in an actual project, and ended up with a great table! I wanted to make it out of cherry, but they didn't have any when I bought my wood, so I had to get walnut (though my wife was happier). Now I just need a knob!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nicely done!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nice job Matt. Those dovetails look better then my first dovetails.

I'm sure the wife will be keeping you busy now.

Wonderful!

Well done, Matt. Nice job on those first dovetails. I found the series enjoyable to watch as well.

Nice Matt. How did you taper the legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Nice Matt. How did you taper the legs?
    I had bought a Rockler tapering jig a while ago, so I used that. Worked great. In the webinar series, Tom shows a jig he built for tapers (and another way with a wedge) and links to a jig he uses. If I was making a jig, I would do it with the dovetail clamps from Microjig. All of them would work well though.

Good looking table!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Lovely job Matt, did they cover tapering the underside edge of the top? It makes the table look lighter. I use maple shaker pegs from a coat rail and just shorten them to make the drawer pull.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Lovely job Matt, did they cover tapering the underside edge of the top? It makes the table look lighter. I use maple shaker pegs from a coat rail and just shorten them to make the drawer pull.
    Tom didn't do that on his. I've been looking at Shaker tables online (wow they are expensive!) and haven't seen the tapered bottoms in classic tables, but I'm not an expert. I was kind of hoping to do it, but will work it into another project.

It is easy to add, just hand plane a taper round the underside, with the grain on two sides and at 45 degrees on the other two sides.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I love the Shaker table design!