Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So...how about a saw til?

So...how about a saw til?

As of right now....this..
    .Shop Tour 2020, the DUSTY saw til.JPG
    Is not getting it. holds about 16 saws....and about the same weight in dust.

Been looking around at enclosed saw tils.....may have found one I can try to make....but, with a few modifications I want.

Instead of the handles resting on a 1" dowel.....may use a 1x4 with one edge rounded over, to match the handles. Have a few Panel Saws...that may get hung on the insides of the solid doors. Instead of one door, there will be two....solid wood ones,

Wondering IF I should include a spot to stash the saw vise in....or just hang it on the side of the case...

Bought a couple 1 x 10 x 6' Pine planks, today....plus have a stack of "leftovers" from the last two builds....

Stay tuned....

My thrown together scrap till holds 26-30 inch blades, about eight of them on the left side, and then I have a space for a drawer, and then can fit another dozen or so saws in the same till above the drawer hole in the middle and on the right. IIRC 26 inch blades are tall enough to reach the horizontal stop on the deep end, and short enough to clear the top panel at the shallow end.

My plan is to put the back saws with the other small fussy tools in a different wall unit.

Today being a Monday, and nothing really pressing going on in the shop...may just enjoy a day off....weather outside is PERFECT!.

Ok. Intend to haul one of the 1 x 10 x 6' planks to the shop...cut it to rough length. Grab the longest hand saw in the til that wasn't made as a backsaw.....and try a few layouts ..out.

Question seems to be...handles up, or handles down. Spaces will be tight inside....if I cut the slots just right....there shouldn't be any rattling around in there. Trying for the thickness of a sheet of paper between the handles. Thinking maybe a single, solid wood door...maybe just a frame and plywood panel door? May not be enough room, to do two doors.

trying to avoid woods with a high Tannic flavour to them......objects made from iron/steel don't play well with Oak, and the like.

May stash the saws with the teeth showing...so I don't have to rattle area in there, looking for the 10ppi crosscut saw.....and bringing out a 6pointer instead...

Idea is to get these saws inside, away from the dust bunnies, so when I wipe them down, they will stay that way.

Will see how today goes....and may try to get a "paper plan" delivered....by Moose & Squirrel Express...
    Stay tuned..

An enclosed till for DT saws I built a couple of years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Saws for this til will be 26" long ones....laid two out on a plank, today..
    Saw Til Project, both sides marked.JPG
    The saws? Atkins Silver Steel Perfection...
    Saw Til Project, Atkins saw.JPG
    And a Disston D-8, 11ppi, post-1928...
    Saw Til Project, Disston D8.JPG
    was trying to see which way they looked best....handles at the top, or handles at the bottom...

Blog Entries
    Steven, good project. My vote:

* Handles down - saws less likely to fall out if hurriedly replaced.

* What ever saw capacity you're planning, add 50%. You know you're going to magically acquire more saws. It's OK to admit it -we all have a bad hand saw problem!

* leave the till open for easy access. I hang mine on peg board so I can move them around when the tools collection inevitably changes. Shop vac blow out all the dust.

Look forward to seeing the rest of your progress!

Cheers, Mike

Handles up. saw's back will be against the back of the case....unless you want a finger cut, you WILL take the time to safely insert the saw into it's slot

Will make a separate til for the mitre saws in the shop...there are a couple handsaws that have been "Retired", as well....old til held 16 saws...about what I need for now.

Tablesaw in the same neck of the woods in the shop....case will get a door, to keep the dust out of the case...

Whenever Mr. Gumption and Mr Motivation return...I'll be back in the shop, cutting a few Pine boards. Door, BTW, will be a Frame & Panel thing..plywood for the panel. As for what will be hanging on the inside of that door...3 panel saws...looking like two handles up, with the third in the middle, handle at the bottom. Outside of the door...will get a few hooks...
    IMG_2428 (640x480).jpg
    So this saw can hang out there. Will try to see about getting it sharpened later....

Hey Steven,

You deserve a few days off. Nice job on the plane cabinet.

I think you made the right decision on putting a door on the till, to keep saw dust out. Wood dust setting on steel promotes rust. It is hygroscopic, meaning it can draw water out of the air. That is why wood swells and shrinks with changes in humidity, as it either pulls moisture from the air when it is humid, or releases it when the air is very dry.

Of course when the wood dust pulls moisture from the air, the sawdust gains dampness, which of course promotes rust. If I ever get to build a tool chest and a till or two, I will put doors, or lids on them. Hopefully, also some sort of set up that folks on this site talk about to keep the cabinets warm.

At any rate, I am looking forward to seeing the design you come up with.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-21-2020 at 10:32 PM.

I need to build one and am leaning towards an enclosed till to help slow any rust issues despite the agra factor for having to open the till every time I want to access a saw. I would like to have a drawer below the saws so I can store the saw files with the saw. We've all seen the type till I want to build, just need to move it higher up the build list. My main problem is where it will have to hang on a wall. A little further away from my bench than I prefer for back saw storage, OK for larger, less-used panel saws. Haven't made up my mind on where to put the back saws. I'm thinking permanently in the saw till, but temporarily while being actively used where I leave them now laying on top of the tool cabinet that is located under the bench top.
    David

Ok...needed a top and bottom for the case...1 x 10 #2 was a bit ....nasty, but I thought I could get 2 pieces..
    Saw Til Project, too wavy.JPG
    Maybe....seemed to be right about....here...
    Saw Til Project, too knotty.JPG
    So, IF I could cut this mess out, and wind up with two 1 x 10 x 20"...
    Saw Til Project, clamped FLAT.JPG
    Leave them clamped flat, for a day or two....might just work. As for the sides...
    Saw Til Project, sides measured.JPG
    1 x 10 #1....roughly 33" for both halves of the 72" long plank...one end match up fairly well...which left the other end of the pair to be trimmed to match each other...
    Saw Til Project, both sides trimmed.JPG
    I think that will do....was thinking about starting the dovetails, so I laid out a few toys...
    Saw Til Project, dovetail tools.JPG
    Too much like work, for today....there was a scrap I was going to use to hold the saws...decided to crosscut roughly to length...will be using a stopped dado to house it.....Then, decide two holders was better than one way to wide one....and, I needed to rip out the center of the board, anyway..
    Saw Til Project, saw holders ripped.JPG
    center had pith, and a knot or three....amazing. Saw Hangers?
    Saw Til Project. second saw holder.JPG
    Saws will be hanging by their handles. Tablesaw blade was raised as high as it could go...run the hangers through as pairs, so the slots will line up.
    Biggest thing, is to leave enough room at the top, to allow the handles to fit in. Haven't decided how far up to bring the lower keeper, yet....Trying to leave a slight gap between the handles.

May add a few LONG screws through the back, and into the hangers... May start on the through dovetails tomorrow.....or, maybe do the rebates for the plywood back to sit in.
    Stay tuned....

May get started after Lunch has settled....may just work on the sides of the case, today. will include the rebate along the back edge ( for the plywood back) and two stopped Dados for the saw holders...

Dovetails will be just simple through dovetails, no need to go fancy. Sides will get the pins. Then use the pins to lay out the tails.....things will get spaced using a 6mm or 8mm wide chisel....have to set the bevel gauge again....it is folded up to store in the tool cabinet.

Once I figure out how long the hangers need to be, counting what goes into the dados....I can cut the rest of the slots....thinkin the dados only need to be 3/8" deep.....another job for the Stanley 71-1/2.

Rebates will just be done with the Wards #78....set the depth stop with the thickness of the plywood.

Stay tuned...

Took the day off....on account of I had a TIA roll through my head.....aka, Mini Stroke. Was a good thing I was sitting down....body went on Lock Down for about 5 minutes, I think...world was spinning around, but, I wasn't. Have had a few of these things over the past few years....at least this time, nothing went numb....

Things only last 5 to 15 minutes....but then the rest of the day is basically...shot.. Will take the day off, sit and rest up....and hope the head quit spinning.....

Will see how tomorrow goes....if nobody minds...

Ok, morning after feels like I did a Pub Crawl last night...issues with the van vs mechanic....then down to Lowes for a plywood handy panel, and a new bandsaw blade.....finally decided to try my luck in the shop...about 1400 hrs......quitting time was 1630.....got a little bit done...was just getting too tired...
    Saw Til Project, square corner.JPG
    Rebates on the two sides were done...not without issues ( seemed to be a trend, today)
    Saw Til Project, rebate done.JPG
    Yes, the rebate needed to go there....right through the knot. Good thing I sharpened the iron up last time it was out...
    laid out and saw the pins first...
    Saw Til Project, backsaw work.JPG
    Then remove the waste..
    Saw Til Project, pins done.JPG
    Will need a special cut, to hide the ends of the rebates...
    Tails were laid out, using the pins...and marked for that corner cut..
    Saw Til Project, tails sawn.JPG
    Special cut in the red circle.....dry fit?
    Saw Til Project, dry fit corner.JPG
    One corner done....3 more to go, and one more rebate to plow.
    Saw Til Project, Knotty problem.JPG
    This is that knot, before the Wards (Stanley) No. 78 hit it.
    So, tomorrow, I might get at least one more corner done....all 3 would be pushing things, a bit.
    Stay tuned....

Have about 20 pictures to post....might be a little rough to do, with an 8 photo limit...so, I hit the highlights..
    Saw Til Project, rebates match.JPG
    Rebates are matching up...had one a little too tight..
    Saw Til Project, corner No. 2, with split.JPG
    trim it to remove the split. Corner #2 is done. Both it and #1 are the bottom of the case.
    Saw Til Project, one more corner to do.JPG
    Corner #4 is also done, panel for the top even has it rebate done...usual luck, was made against the grain...
    Saw Til Project, rebate for the top.JPG
    had to, to make the tails and the corner come out right. Leaves corner #3 for tomorrow...

Laid out for the dados for the saw holders to sit in. Decided to angle the top one, so the saws will not slide back out on their own....but..
    Saw Til Project, dado layout, top holder.JPG
    Should be a lot of "fun" to do.....by hand. Stanley #71-1/2 will be earning it's keep....the lower holder can sit in a straight dado...
    Saw Til Project, dado layout, bottom holder.JPG
    And, of course, not a knot in sight...

Need to get the last corner done, and 4 dados made....then see about trimming a plywood panel to size. maybe Monday I can start on the door? And figure out the hinge(s) and a Latch....Witch's Brew for a finish?
    Stay tuned...

You are very good at finding knots in your project wood Stephen C. I always figure if the knot doesn't chip the blade, it is a plus. And please take care of yourself as best you can.
    David