Thread: Record plow plane age?

Record plow plane age?

On the Record 043 planes I see some have flat thumb screws and some are round knurled knobs. Witch one is older?
    Side note any one have one they are looking to git rid of.

I found that an indication of age is the level of detail. As manufacturers look to cut costs they eliminate details. Knurling disappears, flat head screws replace thumb screws, fit/finish varies, etc etc etc.

Record Plough Plane No. 043

The No. 043 plough plane was originally a plane with a single arm fence when it first appeared in early 1935. It was soon modified to a double arm bridged fence and a wider flared palm rest. It may have been modified to permit the introduction of the No. 040 plough in November 1935 at a lower price. The flat depth stop and fence arm thumb screws were changed to a round screw with a knurled edge around the late 1950's. Metric cutters were stated as an optional extra in widths of 4, 6, 9 and 12mm from 1935. It seems strange that the plough, designed for the light duty use of cutting up to ¼" wide grooves should have the option of metric cutters up to 12mm wide offered. At that time no other manufacturer produced a plough of this design, so this could be Record's own design. It was listed as being "Rustless plated".

The No. 043 was first listed in a small undated publicity catalogue issued between the January 1934 price list and the November 1935, No. 14 Catalogue. Last listed mid 1970's.

http://www.recordhandplanes.com/production-periods.html

If you cannot find a Record #043, look for a Rapier #043. They are very similar, if not identical.

If you find one or the other minus blades, just get it. The Veritas Small Plow blades work perfectly in it; in fact, I only use the Veritas blades in mine.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Record Plough Plane No. 043

The No. 043 plough plane was originally a plane with a single arm fence when it first appeared in early 1935. It was soon modified to a double arm bridged fence and a wider flared palm rest. It may have been modified to permit the introduction of the No. 040 plough in November 1935 at a lower price. The flat depth stop and fence arm thumb screws were changed to a round screw with a knurled edge around the late 1950's. Metric cutters were stated as an optional extra in widths of 4, 6, 9 and 12mm from 1935. It seems strange that the plough, designed for the light duty use of cutting up to ¼" wide grooves should have the option of metric cutters up to 12mm wide offered. At that time no other manufacturer produced a plough of this design, so this could be Record's own design. It was listed as being "Rustless plated".

The No. 043 was first listed in a small undated publicity catalogue issued between the January 1934 price list and the November 1935, No. 14 Catalogue. Last listed mid 1970's.

http://www.recordhandplanes.com/production-periods.html
    Thank you I did look at that page befor but missed that one line.