Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stimulus Payment Quirk

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Suppose your social security is direct deposited. Do the details of tax returns matter?
    Depends. For SS recipients whose income is low enough that they didn't file 1040s in 2018/2019, it goes there automatically. But it appears that the 1040 info takes precedence, possibly because the IRS is handling this, not the SSA.

I'm working off a very small sample here, but I have yet to encounter a person in my situation (direct-withdrawal IRS payment in 2018 and 2019) who has gotten their payment as of this date. (And yes, I have SS direct-deposit as well.)

As of this morning the site is now showing my payment as "yes, you're getting one, we'll update this page when we have a projected payment date". Sounds like they've outsourced the payment process to Amazon.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Another fact is that some tax prep companies often have your refund sent to their account and then they take their cut and you get the remaining amount deposited into your account or as a check. This is particularly true of tax helpers who give you immediate tax payments.
    I have often thought that, if I ever really needed an additional income stream, I had two sure-fire ways to do it, both involving people whose coping skills are, shall we say, sub-optimal:
    1. assemble IKEA furniture
    2. type tax info into TurboTax
    No way I'd ever run out of customers in either category.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dockstader View Post
    I think the biggest reason is that you may not own the account which paid your taxes. Maybe your parents or your in-laws paid your taxes for you, for whatever reason. So to make sure the YOU get the money, they want the numbers for YOUR account.
    OK, never thought of that circumstance, valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Probably, the Social Security Administration and the Internal Revenue Service are two different agencies of the government performing two different functions.

jtk
    If you receive SS in any form, the direct deposit should be automatic if you qualify for the CARES benefit since SS is deposited that way these days.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you receive SS in any form, the direct deposit should be automatic if you qualify for the CARES benefit since SS is deposited that way these days.
    My understanding is the CARES benefit is being distributed through the Federal Treasury of which the IRS is a part.

If you have seen this explained otherwise, please post the information or a link.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My understanding is the CARES benefit is being distributed through the Federal Treasury of which the IRS is a part.

If you have seen this explained otherwise, please post the information or a link.

jtk
    I'm only reiterating what has been published relative to the deposits...it was stated the folks on Social Security would see the payment in the same account that their SS is normally deposited into if they qualify for the benefit. I do get SS, but I don't qualify for the CARES benefit, so I can't confirm that. I can confirm that my 90yo mother's was deposited promptly last week as was my daughter's. Both are on SS. The deposit does come from IRS/Treasury.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Did they file taxes for 2018 or 2019?

Candy collects SS, mine hasn't started. My pension from California may keep me from ever receiving SS payments even though it was paid into before my public sector employment.

We received our stimulus payment right after it passed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've been getting SS deposited for about 11 months now. I also did our joint 2019 return and paid the IRS directly out of our bank account, same account as where I receive my SS.

I've received two small IRS refunds, by check, for adjustments to our 2019 Tax return that the IRS obviously felt was due to us.

Still no sign of a stimulus payment, to my wife or I, and no paper check.

My friends have received their stimulus payment, even my friend's Dad got his and he's been deceased for 6 months.

My grown kids also got the stimulus payments direct deposited.

Don't really need the money, but we fall into the category for eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Another fact is that some tax prep companies often have your refund sent to their account and then they take their cut and you get the remaining amount deposited into your account or as a check. This is particularly true of tax helpers who give you immediate tax payments.
    I have a co-worker in this situation. Her stimulus check went to the company that prepares her taxes. Supposedly the company sent it back to the IRS and told the IRS they need to figure out how to get it to the people. They weren't going to foot the payroll and mailing material cost to distribute it.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I'm not getting anything, nor do I want it. Wouldn't even cover utilities and food for a couple weeks. Just a carrot to dangle.
    My son would have a gotten a full check, despite the fact that he is employed and getting his normal pay check, based on his 2018 return. I urged him to file as quickly as possible, and his 2019 doesn't get a check. You are right, it is not a great deal of money, but I feel terrible about it. I console myself a bit that he sold stock to pay his taxes, and saved as much as a check by getting $10,000 out of the market. Still, if I were psychic, he could have gotten both.
    The pause gives me an opportunity to dwell on these absurd things.