Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stimulus Payment Quirk

Stimulus Payment Quirk

Ran into something very non-obvious about how the stimulus payments are handled:

If you got a tax refund using direct-deposit in 2018 or 2019, you don't need to do anything, your $1200 will direct-deposit to the same account.

But if you paid using direct-withdrawal in those years, the IRS can't/won't direct-deposit to that account automatically. You need to go online and give them routing/account numbers again. Yes, they're the same routing/account numbers for deposit and withdrawal and no, I have no idea why they can't put money into an account they just took money out of two months ago.

(FYI, the identifying information used to get that far has to match your 1040 exactly. E.g. spelling out "Drive" instead of "Dr." will throw an error. And three errors will lock you out for 24 hours. DAMHIKT)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    It may be a legal technicality. When you give them your account number to withdrawn a payment you didn't give them permission to deposit in your account. Likewise if you gave them your account information to deposit your refund they do have permission to make deposits into your account. I know that we had our refund direct deposited and the "stimulus money" arrived last week.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I send paper checks. I send paper returns. I want a paper check (still waiting) that I can stamp and the bank takes a picture of. None of this "E" stuff with the eye are ess for me, thanks.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It may be a legal technicality. When you give them your account number to withdrawn a payment you didn't give them permission to deposit in your account. Likewise if you gave them your account information to deposit your refund they do have permission to make deposits into your account. I know that we had our refund direct deposited and the "stimulus money" arrived last week.
    Why would they need permission to deposit money into your account after you've given permission to withdraw from the account? Can't think of a reason.

I'm not getting anything, nor do I want it. Wouldn't even cover utilities and food for a couple weeks. Just a carrot to dangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post

You are correct. We had that exact situation. People who are in desperate straits need to realize this technicality. My heart goes out to the people who lost jobs and health care.

I think the biggest reason is that you may not own the account which paid your taxes. Maybe your parents or your in-laws paid your taxes for you, for whatever reason. So to make sure the YOU get the money, they want the numbers for YOUR account.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Why would they need permission to deposit money into your account after you've given permission to withdraw from the account? Can't think of a reason.
    It is likely all in the legalese of working with a government agency. The 'taxes due payment' to the IRS from an account is a one time transaction. The transaction is payment for taxes associated with an SS number. Once payment is verified, the banking information may no longer be in the system.

Short answer, the system isn't set up that way. It wasn't planned in the original design of the system to have a wide spread payout to every taxpayer.

My opinion of what is strange about this is everyone in the specified income group who paid taxes will get a check whether they lost their job or not. If people are on a pension or Social Security, they will get a check.

In my case, it is nice to have the extra money. My plan is to help out our kids who did end up out of work for a short period of time.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-20-2020 at 1:30 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    If you got a tax refund using direct-deposit in 2018 or 2019, you don't need to do anything, your $1200 will direct-deposit to the same account.
    Suppose your social security is direct deposited. Do the details of tax returns matter?

Nothing new. Ten years ago, when handling my parents affairs I tried to deposit money in their account and was denied. I had to have them put me on the account.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Another fact is that some tax prep companies often have your refund sent to their account and then they take their cut and you get the remaining amount deposited into your account or as a check. This is particularly true of tax helpers who give you immediate tax payments.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

There also is an issue where a lot of people, like me, are getting an "eligibility cannot be determined" error when using the online tool to try to put in banking information. The common denominator with those who are getting the error seems to be that they filed a tax return in 2018, but had not yet filed a return in 2019. I had not filed for 2019 yet out simply due to the deadline being extended and owing money. I electronically filed last Wednesday so I am hoping my status for the stimulus payment will change soon. The good news is my AGI went down about $1,000 for 2019 so that will qualify me for a higher payment.

I never get a refund and pay electronically so I assumed like a lot of people that they would use my bank account info to do the direct deposit, but not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    It’s the government! Many years ago I needed additional pages added to my passport, ran out of room for additional visas. Since we were in DC for a couple days we hired an outfit that does all the legwork. Gave them our passports, get a call later. State won’t add pages until they have in hand a letter from the passport holder stating it’s ok to add blank pages!
    Reality continues to ruin my life!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Suppose your social security is direct deposited. Do the details of tax returns matter?
    Probably, the Social Security Administration and the Internal Revenue Service are two different agencies of the government performing two different functions.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I made a living for a decade running an IT team for a state revenue operation. When they made the decision to do all this they did not consult with any IT manager on capability, and probably nothing was in place to do it. They also didn't ask for an estimate of when it could be done. Trust me, I know the mind of politicians, they don't think like you or me, or most things human. Somewhere in the IRS and SSA a lot of COBOL is being written, some of it might even get tested before it's rolled into production. For decades we have demanded that government run at maximum cost efficiency. That comes at a cost of deminished adaptability. It will all get done, just not yesterday. That said, of Federal organizations that I have respect for, both the IRS and SSA are lean and mean, just not places necessarily pleasant to work.

Some of the things I really love about woodworking are I can acquire any of the resources I think are necessary, I can plan and design, I can step back and reconsider, and if it isn't right I can do it over, as many times as I like. Especially, I can build things to build things, and actually have something the military calls Logistics. Trust me, in 10 years of state management I never had any of those luxuries.
    Last edited by John Makar; 04-20-2020 at 11:05 AM.