Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 1836 a few questions

Laguna 1836 a few questions

Hi all,

I have been researching lathe upgrade possibilities and I am starting to gravitate to a Laguna 1836. I have read a lot of the useful threads here and some of the posted reviews which have been very helpful. I have a few questions:

1) I like to turn outside. With the apparently excellent wheel system, can the heavy 1836 be moved around and outside easily?

2) I do not have 220 volt service in my shop but it would not be all that difficult or expensive to get it installed. I have not done it before because I am a weekend woodworker and I don’t do a huge volume of work nor do I do very large pieces. Although I do plan on doing some 16” bowls. So for example my 1.5 hp Jet dust collector (120v) suits my needs fine. The question is: is the additional power very important that it would be worth upgrading the service and getting the 2 HP 1836 versus the 1.5 Hp model?

3) Pulleys and vibration: the Nova Orion (which is another option for me, although out of stock until the summer) touts its direct drive headstock as reducing vibration. I have no problem with the two speed ranges on the Laguna. Just wondering what users have experienced in terms of vibration with a pulley system.

thanks for your advice.

I have the 1836 and can answer a few questions. #1 on mobility. the lathe is pretty heavy but I have mine on a homemade lift and on a plywood floor. It's a beast to move, but not impossible. My issue with moving is room. There's so much in my shop that gets in the way. I cannot comment on the Laguna mobility system because I have no experience with it, but if it works as good or better than mine, there shouldn't be a problem.

#2, I have the 220 volt model so I cannot compare the two. I would think that you would not have any issues unless you maxed it out with a heavy, large object.

#3. I have never had any issue with pulley vibration. I have had the lathe try and walk once when a leveling foot got bent, (my fault), but when that was rectafied, no more issues.
    I apsolute love my lathe and would highly recommend it. I am but a hobbiest, but I think this lathe would suit you well.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I have the 18/36 110V model. I never move it so I can't comment on that question. I do bowls up to about 16" and have never had a problem with the lathe power not being able to handle them. I don't have a vibration issue other than if I'm starting a big unbalanced blank and I go over say 500 rpm it will shake a little but I think that can be expected. I love the lathe and am very happy I got it...

I have had the 18-36 for about a year now. Your description of needs/wants sounds almost identical to mine. I move mine outside to turn as I don't wan the mess in an already messy shop. I bought the mobility that is made by Laguna for that lathe.....it works like a dream. That is not to say that the lathe is not heavy( I think it is somewhere around 600-700 lbs.), it is, but I can manage it and I'm 70. You just need to be smart about any slopes/angled pathway.
    As for the 220, I did exactly what you described. Had 220 installed outside so that I could move it out there and turn.
    I have had no vibration issues but I have not turned any huge pieces as of yet. I turn items (16" round lid to go with a 12-16 section box) mostly to go with some other item I've built in the shop.
    The variable speed is great, especially when sanding .

Jim

I have the 220 model, and you may have seen my comments at times on the 1836, including my review a few years ago. Still love it. As to the direct drive Nova, I am sure it is a quality lathe. I have no experience or data to support this, but I think direct drive works for a machine that has a constant load. Things happen on a woodworking machine, the load changes, even can abruptly stop momentarily (catches, etc.) and it just seems prudent to have a belt driven machine so there is less trauma to the motor on a stall. Just my thought without any supporting data.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I had 220 installed. This lathe was an excuse to do that. It will give you other tool options in the future, so I say go for the 220v.

I love the pulley system of this lathe. It is easy to switch between “spindle” and “bowl” speed. Everything is conveniently located. I notice no vibration.

I recently got the 24/36. I needed it to be mobile. I looked at the base kit and decided to make my own.

Thank you all for the replies. Super helpful. John I did read your review and found it to be very helpful. I’m still on the fence about the power. Jin your post about the wheel system was very helpful. Anyone else have experience with the Laguna wheel kit?

Just my 2 cents worth - - larger diameter wheel roll more easily and aren't as likely to get stuck or stopped by a crack. But if you have a smooth apron and transition between your garage and driveway, then perhaps you won't have an issue.

Dan,
    One other thought/option about the 18-36 is the 3" riser kit/block. It is a personal preference as to the height you want your lathe to be. At 5"10" and age 70, I don't like to be bent over any more than I have to when turning. I have found the height to be very comfortable with the riser block.
    Jim

Jim thanks for the tip (and sorry I mis-spelled your name above). I sent you a PM.

I have the Revo 24-36 unit, it is approximately 30% heavier in base trim than the 18-26 unit. The wheel kit is the same for both, I have the wheel kit. I can move the lathe around as easy as anything, even when running bed extensions and tail stock risers which are not light.

Mick.

Prior to making the cabinet, above in post #7, I made these for moving my lathe. I bought some 3" x 4" x 1/4" angle iron from McMasterCarr and a set of 800lb rated casters ($60).

The threads are already tapped in the legs of the lathe.

Found this clip
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 04-22-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Chris those are both impressive solutions. Probably beyond my abilities but thank you for sharing them.

-dan

There's an 18-36 for sale in the Sawmill Creek Classifieds.