Thread: Any HVAC Technicians Here?

Any HVAC Technicians Here?

My furnace went out on me & I've narrowed it down to the bearings in the inducer fan motor.

The furnace is a Carrier Model# 58HDX060-10112 & it's about 7 years old.

I see that it's considered normal to just replace the whole inducer assembly on this style furnace, But I'm curious if any one has replaced just the blower motor?

Being these things always seem to happen on the weekend when there's nothing open, I pulled the inducer assembly off & managed to force some heavy oil into the bearings with a chain saw bar oiler. I was able to free it up for now & with a little luck It will hold up until I can get the parts needed on Monday.

The blower housing seems to be sealed/fused together after the impeller was put in-place?
    It looks like one of those items that was probably put together on a automated assembly line.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    My furnace went out on me & I've narrowed it down to the bearings in the inducer fan motor.

The furnace is a Carrier Model# 58HDX060-10112 & it's about 7 years old.

I see that it's considered normal to just replace the whole inducer assembly on this style furnace, But I'm curious if any one has replaced just the blower motor?

Being these things always seem to happen on the weekend when there's nothing open, I pulled the inducer assembly off & managed to force some heavy oil into the bearings with a chain saw bar oiler. I was able to free it up for now & with a little luck It will hold up until I can get the parts needed on Monday.

The blower housing seems to be sealed/fused together after the impeller was put in-place?
    It looks like one of those items that was probably put together on a automated assembly line.

Doug

Were you able to oil both front, and rear bearings? Most techs carry zoom spout oil, which has pull out spout about 8" long to allow reaching bearing behind fan without pulling the fan off the shaft. Chain saw bar oil is too thick. When fan cools down, it will have a difficult time over coming the oil.

Not an hvac tech, but have replaced a few inducers. Every one I've seen has the housing attached to the motor, fan pressed on, and then housing cover glued or plastic welded to the housing. I've tried to take one apart but it just busted into a bunch of pieces.

After you replace the inducer, blow out all the hoses and if the unit has a condensate trap, take off the bottom cover and gently blow out the hoses going to it; you should hear the air blowing through the trap. The traps or hoses going to it tend to plug up, and then you get water in the inducer blower which either causes the motor to burn up trying to blow water, or causes the bearing to fail due to the moisture.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Were you able to oil both front, and rear bearings?
    Yeah by removing the inducer I was able to get at both bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Chain saw bar oil is too thick,
    When fan cools down, it will have a difficult time over coming the oil.
    I use synthetic gear oil mixed with graphite power in my syringe style chainsaw oiler. Yeah it's thicker than what's usually used, But with the syringe style oiler hopefully I was able to get some of it into the sealed bearings.

So far it's running ok, Hopefully it will make it through the weekend!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Every one I've seen has the housing attached to the motor, fan pressed on, and then housing cover glued or plastic welded to the housing. I've tried to take one apart but it just busted into a bunch of pieces.

This should help press it out!

Or make a
    bunch of pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    After you replace the inducer, blow out all the hoses and if the unit has a condensate trap, take off the bottom cover and gently blow out the hoses going to it; you should hear the air blowing through the trap. The traps or hoses going to it tend to plug up.
    Thanks I'll double check them when I get the new inducer on Monday.

Chances are I'll probably just end up going with a new inducer like most do, But seeing a new motor should only be around $60 ~ $80 Compared to a new inducer which is around $250 ~ $300 I figured I would double check to see if anyone has replaced just the motor.

Doug

That looks like nothing special to me. Unless it is a variable speed motor any low pressure blower should work. I would look at surplus blowers and use some flex hose to make it fit.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    That looks like nothing special to me. Unless it is a variable speed motor any low pressure blower should work.
    The blower housing & mounting is probably just made for Carrier!
    The motor however should be pretty standard, As long as the RPM current/amps & shaft size is the same.

The motor looks like this one.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Check the big A and also supplyhouse.com for oem and aftermarket options. This is a pretty common replacement item for a lot of furnaces.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--