Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously P. W. A stereo cabinet?

Seriously P. W. A stereo cabinet?

Just got my June issue of P.W. with a 1950's stereo cabinet on the cover. I just threw it in the recycle bin. A pity for what it once was.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

My, my...such a snob. i've been downloading such articles from way back when....to get ideas for something to actually make...

I'd like some ideas for a stereo cabinet. I still have my Marantz 2235b receiver, Marantz turntable and JBL L-100 speakers I bought new in 1974 or 1975 and I'd like to set it up in my study. I need a cabinet that will also allow me to store my 300+ album collection from the 60s & 70s. I'll have to see what they posted. Anyone got any good ideas please share. Apologies for the attempted highjacking of yet another PW/FWW/magazineofyourchoice sucks thread. :0\

I'm guessing the article in question is this one: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a...tereo-cabinet/

I second Steven's sentiment. It seems like an attractive and useful piece of furniture and while it uses pocket hole joinery, that's optional if you decide to make it yourself and it makes it an approachable project for beginners.

i like the way they did the handle. i have a stack of records on a high shelf and a turntable on a shelf above the wall mounted TV. i would love something like this below the TV but it would displace one of the dog beds. haha.

I'm with Bob on this one.

Power tool intensive, plywood focused, and held together with screws - it leaves little to admire.

Blog Entries
    Stop the Mid-Century Modern madness!!! It's the new "Rustic" or "Reclaimed" in my book and I grew up with a house full of Paul Mccobb ;-) I guess I should give it its due, we only got rid of the last couple of night stands a year ago.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I see the origin of MCM as stuff for WW2 vets. But it's ok if others like it !

I 100% agree with Bob. This last issue was the last magazine on my subscription and I will certainly not be renewing. I am shocked at how thin these magazines have become and how terrible the quality in articles. The projects they pick out are absolutely ALL for beginners. I can see catering to beginners for some articles but there has to be some more advanced articles that are aimed at people that have been woodworking for longer than a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    IThe projects they pick out are absolutely ALL for beginners.
    That's who still buys from their advertisers.

So I get it that the Poster does not like Post War Modern furniture. So, I suppose Sam Maloof's stuff is junk as well. It actually takes some skill to make that stuff, especially the angles and the veneers.

I remember in college in the 60s when we furnished an entire house will junky furniture from the thrift store--$5 chairs, $10 dressers, $10 rockers, and $10 wood sofas, and our parents basements, much of which was painted white. I remember the owners of the thrifts and my parents saying that they were old fashioned, too dark and uncomfortable. Late in Graduate School during a break, I refinished these after watching a This Old House episode. It turned out that these were all Arts & Crafts heirlooms from Stickley and Roycroft and are now worth a bundle!

The point is that furniture styles are just that--styles which change according to the age.

I'm sure a lot of people would have thrown away Popular Woodworking in the early 1900s, if it featured a drawing of a Federal style dresser.

May I also contradict other posters, who certainly did not read this particular issue, which features a timber framing style table with hand cut through tenons angled tenons, and a Shaker chair made with hand tools and on the lathe. These are not beginner projects!
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    So I get it that the Poster does not like Post War Modern furniture. So, I suppose Sam Maloof's stuff is junk as well. It actually takes some skill to make that stuff, especially the angles and the veneers.

I remember in college in the 60s when we furnished an entire house will junky furniture from the thrift store--$5 chairs, $10 dressers, $10 rockers, and $10 wood sofas, and our parents basements, much of which was painted white. I remember the owners of the thrifts and my parents saying that they were old fashioned, too dark and uncomfortable. Late in Graduate School during a break, I refinished these after watching a This Old House episode. It turned out that these were all Arts & Crafts heirlooms from Stickley and Roycroft and are now worth a bundle!

The point is that furniture styles are just that--styles which change according to the age.

I'm sure a lot of people would have thrown away Popular Woodworking in the early 1900s, if it featured a drawing of a Federal style dresser.

May I also contradict other posters, who certainly did not read this particular issue, which features a timber framing style table with hand cut through tenons angled tenons, and a Shaker chair made with hand tools and on the lathe. These are not beginner projects!

The sure way to put a magazine under at this point would be to feature a steady diet of Chippendale, Georgian, and Federal period projects.

Maybe next month they could feature a nice veneered plywood console TV cabinet.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Pocket screws, a Neanderthal shalt not use.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post
    The sure way to put a magazine under at this point would be to feature a steady diet of Chippendale, Georgian, and Federal period projects.
    I've pretty much lost my sense of humor the last four weeks, but Charles, you made me laugh out loud, and streams of coffee squirted out my nostrils onto the keyboard. Thanks very much.
    Regards,

Tom