Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End grain wood sealer

End grain wood sealer

Thoughts on latex paint for that use—-anchor seal original doesn’t seem to be available any more

Latex paint is not a direct replacement. Maybe 4 coats of latex will get closer, but you need the flexibility for any sealer to work.

This stuff from craft supply is pretty much a match to original anchor seal. https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...san-Woodsealer

Rockler has a green wood sealer that seems to have worked pretty well for me on some birch turning blanks. I've not used anchor seal so I can't provide a comparison.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I just bought 5 gallons not so long ago from the manufacturer--but for me, not so long ago can be a while.

our wood turning club just bought a 55 gallon drum of it from uc coatings they sell it on line here is a link to them
    https://uccoatings.com/shop/product/anchorseal/

Woodcraft offers it, quarts or gallons: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/a...-sealer-gallon
    Also, some turning clubs buy in bulk and sell to members for less.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    This stuff from craft supply is pretty much a match to original anchor seal. https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...san-Woodsealer
    No way is the Craft Supplies green wood sealer anywhere close to Anchorseal! Anchorseal is wax based and CS green wood sealer is PVA based, as in poly vinyl acetate or glue based.

My first use of CS sealer resulted in 10 out of 11 bowls cracking, and severely splitting at that. I've never seen bowls split like that before, it was almost as if they mini-exploded. I asked Kirk DeHeer about it since he product tested it before CS brought it to market. He said try stirring it first. Since I had a 5 gallon bucket I bought a paint stirrer for my drill and gave it another try. That seemed to do the trick and I've had good success since.

BUT another major difference between CS sealer and Anchorseal is that CS sealer is glue based. That stuff is sticky like all get out. I use a drop cloth underneath anything I've sealed while the sealer dries. I have to throw away the drop cloth, rubber gloves, brush, etc after each use. Yes it washes off with water but Anchorseal I can just wipe off and wrap up my brush till next time.

Also my bucket of CS sealer gets a thick layer of mold on top if I haven't used it for a while. Not so with Anchorseal. In short the CS sealer is just a hassle/pain/sticky mess to use that I only use it to dunk the ends of spindle blanks. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of original Anchorseal and use it for bowls. I will not buy CS sealer again. If anybody wants a half bucket of CS sealer for free come and get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    No way is the Craft Supplies green wood sealer anywhere close to Anchorseal! Anchorseal is wax based and CS green wood sealer is PVA based, as in poly vinyl acetate or glue based.

My first use of CS sealer resulted in 10 out of 11 bowls cracking, and severely splitting at that. I've never seen bowls split like that before, it was almost as if they mini-exploded. I asked Kirk DeHeer about it since he product tested it before CS brought it to market. He said try stirring it first. Since I had a 5 gallon bucket I bought a paint stirrer for my drill and gave it another try. That seemed to do the trick and I've had good success since.

BUT another major difference between CS sealer and Anchorseal is that CS sealer is glue based. That stuff is sticky like all get out. I use a drop cloth underneath anything I've sealed while the sealer dries. I have to throw away the drop cloth, rubber gloves, brush, etc after each use. Yes it washes off with water but Anchorseal I can just wipe off and wrap up my brush till next time.

Also my bucket of CS sealer gets a thick layer of mold on top if I haven't used it for a while. Not so with Anchorseal. In short the CS sealer is just a hassle/pain/sticky mess to use that I only use it to dunk the ends of spindle blanks. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of original Anchorseal and use it for bowls. I will not buy CS sealer again. If anybody wants a half bucket of CS sealer for free come and get it!
    Um did you follow the link i provided? Because the one i linked to artisan wood sealer is a water based wax emulsion not the green wood sealer you are referring to. I bought a gallon to replace the anchor seal i had last year. I can not tell the difference from the ones i sealed in the anchor seal to the ones i sealed in the craft supply stuff. I should of marked the transition pieces i sealed.

Um did you follow the link i provided? Because the one i linked to artisan wood sealer is a water based wax emulsion not the green wood sealer you are referring to. I bought a gallon to replace the anchor seal i had last year. I can not tell the difference from the ones i sealed in the anchor seal to the ones i sealed in the craft supply stuff. I should of marked the transition pieces i sealed.
    Note that even Anchorseal comes in two varieties, the original wax emulsion and Anchorseal 2, described by UC Coatings as "a hybrid of plant-based polymers and wax" whatever that means. I've always used the original. Some people that have tried both said they didn't like the Anchorseal 2 as much but a google search of anchorseal vs anchorseal 2 will give you lots to read.

I don't know what Craft Supplies sells. A few years ago in a pinch I bought a gallon of "Green Wood Sealer" from a different seller and it appeared to be Anchorseal with a different name. When the last of my 55 gal drum of Anchorseal is gone I'll probably get another or maybe a 5-gal bucket. It's cheaper that way.

JKJ

My bad, I didn't click on your link. I thought CS only sold the sticky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Note that even Anchorseal comes in two varieties, the original wax emulsion and Anchorseal 2, described by UC Coatings as "a hybrid of plant-based polymers and wax" whatever that means. I've always used the original. Some people that have tried both said they didn't like the Anchorseal 2 as much but a google search of anchorseal vs anchorseal 2 will give you lots to read.

I don't know what Craft Supplies sells. A few years ago in a pinch I bought a gallon of "Green Wood Sealer" from a different seller and it appeared to be Anchorseal with a different name. When the last of my 55 gal drum of Anchorseal is gone I'll probably get another or maybe a 5-gal bucket. It's cheaper that way.

JKJ
    John's note compelled me to check into Rockler's green wood sealer. The SDS that is provided shows that it is actually Anchorseal 2 and calls it a wax emulsion.

http://go.rockler.com/msds/30182-301...ol-formula.PDF

PRODUCT NAME: ANCHORSEAL 2 - Glycol Formula DATE PREPARED: October 1, 2016
    1. IDENTIFICATION
    Identity (as used on label and listings): ANCHORSEAL2 - Glycol Formula
    Chemical Family/Specific Type: Water-based emulsions / aqueous emulsion of wax
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

After trying anchor seal, titebond wood glue, and acrylic paint, on blanks I cut from the same cherry tree. I found the only one that did not crack at all, was the titebond glue! I just use a stiff brush and put two healthy coats on.
    Where did I put those band aids?

Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    After trying anchor seal, titebond wood glue, and acrylic paint, on blanks I cut from the same cherry tree. I found the only one that did not crack at all, was the titebond glue! I just use a stiff brush and put two healthy coats on.
    That sounds like an interesting test. Could you please describe your test a little more? For example, what was your sample size? 5, 10, 25 pieces? Were these log sections in the round or square/rectangular/round bowl-sized blanks?

Keep in mind that different blanks cut from the same tree can have widely different properties. I've seen this many times - some blanks from the same tree crack like crazy and some didn't have a single crack.

I thought a good test for log sections in the round might be: start with a log section and cut it in half. Coat one side of the cut with one type of sealer and the other side with a different sealer. Do at least ten of these. Store in identical conditions. When I did this with squared-up blanks and coated both sides of the with anchorseal both sides usually behaved the same, either both got cracks or neither did. Other non-contiguous surfaces sometimes did not.

One thing I found helps with Anchorseal. I think as it comes it is too thin and it is difficult to put a second coat over a dried first coat. I pour some into a plastic coffee can and leave the lid off for several days until the emulsion thickens some. This goes on thicker and seems more effective. However, I have not done a careful experiment following scientific methods.

JKJ

Mike Mahoney recently demonstrated for our club. I asked him what he uses on his platters and bowls, and he said "polyvinyl acetate" aka PVA or white glue as in Elmer's . Mike said he dilutes it slightly to allow it to brush on easer and coats the entire piece. I bought a gallon at Lowe's for $15, and will find out how it works. But I don't plan to coat the entire piece