Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
That sounds like an interesting test. Could you please describe your test a little more? For example, what was your sample size? 5, 10, 25 pieces? Were these log sections in the round or square/rectangular/round bowl-sized blanks?

Keep in mind that different blanks cut from the same tree can have widely different properties. I've seen this many times - some blanks from the same tree crack like crazy and some didn't have a single crack.

I thought a good test for log sections in the round might be: start with a log section and cut it in half. Coat one side of the cut with one type of sealer and the other side with a different sealer. Do at least ten of these. Store in identical conditions. When I did this with squared-up blanks and coated both sides of the with anchorseal both sides usually behaved the same, either both got cracks or neither did. Other non-contiguous surfaces sometimes did not.

One thing I found helps with Anchorseal. I think as it comes it is too thin and it is difficult to put a second coat over a dried first coat. I pour some into a plastic coffee can and leave the lid off for several days until the emulsion thickens some. This goes on thicker and seems more effective. However, I have not done a careful experiment following scientific methods.

JKJ

You cannot be "scientific" with wood. Maybe lignum. Most were large blanks from a large cherry tree that was 30% moisture content when I cut it into various size blanks. I cut several 3" thick by 11 inch wide by 14 inches long. All from the same log. They are not the only species that I have used titebond for sealing. I have used it on a ash log and it did not crack; the piece of that ash log that was sealed with anchor seal, cracked like crazy. This was stored in a garage with a de humidifier that was set on 55%, for one year. Keep in mind I live in the Olympics and there is alot of rain.