Thread: jig for box hinges

Question jig for box hinges

Craft Inc. makes an insert type hinge for use with small wood boxes, catalog # 6031. I am looking to make a method to make the slots. The only thing i've found is jig design by Doug Stowe that works using a drill press. has anyone used this type hinge and would they please share their experience?

Thanks
    Alan

The 6031 is just a small butt hinge, did you mean one of the kerf hinges they sell?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

oops. I did mean the kerf hinges, I believe the numbers are 6001 and 6001s of the ones i have.

We installed them in a class taught by Doug Stowe at MASW. With his jig, they work great. Once the jig is assembled, it just takes seconds to install hinges. I did not think I would like them, but became a convert. They are almost invisible, and seem plenty sturdy for small boxes.

I do mine on the shaper with a router collet. I don't know about their hinge, but the ones that Woodcraft sold have a pretty big diameter barrel. I pare out a little on one side of the box to inset the barrel just a bit to get a tighter gap on the lid. I would absolutely not buy the blades and arbors from Craft. You can buy metal cutting slitter blades and arbors for about 2/3 less. Amazon even has them.

Those hinges require a slot of a very specific width. Craft Inc sells a small circular saw of the correct width, and an arbor to mount it. The arbor and saw go in a drill press. Together they cost $80, so this approach is going to be pretty expensive unless you're making hundreds of boxes.

i found out about them at Doug's class last summer at Marc Adams school. At the time i didn't think I would use them but my better half decided I would. He had a jig setup at Marc's but I didn't look at it closely, did you? If you did do you have info about it that you would share please? Doug said he had done a Sketch up but he can't find it.

thanks for responding

Yes it is expensive but ...

Thanks for responding