Thread: Jet 16-42 2 HP EVS Inverter

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Jet 16-42 2 HP EVS Inverter

I just acquired a very clean, low-use 16-inch, 2-horsepower Jet lathe with electronic variable speed. I’m happy as a clam but I do have a few technical questions.

Let me begin by saying that I’m quite familiar with these lathes, although not the 2-HP 220 volt version. I have two friends with the 1.5-HP model and have used both often.

That inverter, as I understand it, converts single-phase 230 volts to the three-phase power the motor requires. I’m not electrically proficient, but I understand the basics of this technology.

So I have two questions. Are the controls on the inverter (Run, Stop, Forward, Reverse, Max-Min) used in this application and, if so, how? They don’t appear to have any effect when I tinker with them. Is the digital display relevant? Also, even when the machine is off, the inverter fan runs all the time. Is that normal? Right now I’m unplugging it every night when I leave the studio.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

You shouldn't have to touch the controls on the inverter (Delta S1). All the lathe functions are operated by the low-voltage signal controls on the front of the lathe headstock. The only time I looked at the display on the VFD is when I had a problem in which case it will display an error code (or be blank if the VFD has died.)

The VFDs on my two Jet 1642 lathes don't have fans since Jet was too cheap to install them so I don't know about the continuous running. I do have another VFD that has a fan that runs all the time so I do like you and shut off the power when not in use. This is a good idea anyway to help protect it from transient voltage spikes.

If you don't have the manual, you can download one in PDF form - it explains all the functions. Also, Doc Green's article on the PM 3520 is useful for an overview of the controls - those on the Jet are very similar to those on the PM. You can page through the parameters on the VFD and see what they are set to. I always write down any differences from the defaults so I have something to work from if I need to restore one. (The manual tells how to page through the parameters.) There may be a parameter that controls the fan function, I don't remember.

If you want to change a parameter, the VFD is probably locked by Jet at the factory. I have the unlock code here somewhere but it's all over the internet too.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    I just acquired a very clean, low-use 16-inch, 2-horsepower Jet lathe with electronic variable speed. I’m happy as a clam but I do have a few technical questions.

Let me begin by saying that I’m quite familiar with these lathes, although not the 2-HP 220 volt version. I have two friends with the 1.5-HP model and have used both often.

That inverter, as I understand it, converts single-phase 230 volts to the three-phase power the motor requires. I’m not electrically proficient, but I understand the basics of this technology.

So I have two questions. Are the controls on the inverter (Run, Stop, Forward, Reverse, Max-Min) used in this application and, if so, how? They don’t appear to have any effect when I tinker with them. Is the digital display relevant? Also, even when the machine is off, the inverter fan runs all the time. Is that normal? Right now I’m unplugging it every night when I leave the studio.

I'm not sure if the inverter on your lathe is the same as mine. I have one of the early 1642-2 EVS lathes and it has a Delta-S1 VFD (same as the Powermatic) . I have never had to do anything with re-programming any of the settings, although I know some folks have. On mine, the controls are locked out and require a password to change any parameters. Mine also does not have a fan, so I'm wondering if Jet may have changed VFD manufacturers. Bottom line on my lathe is that I treat the VFD as if it wasn't there as all speed and direction controls on the front of the lathe just work fine. I do unplug mine when ever I am not using it.
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks. You’ve pretty much confirmed what I thought to be the case. And, yes, this inverter is made by Delta.

I should add this post-installation update.

Somehow, in the process of acquiring the new one I found myself with two machines at one time. Short story is I was forced to leave the 16-42 outside under a tarp. It rained heavily that night and when I arrive the tarp was blown off and the conrrols soaked.

Gazeeks! I moved it inside, blew the inverter with compressed air, and let it dry for an hour. When I turned it on — ZILCH!

But at least it didn’t spark or sizzle. So I took it apart, sprayed everything I could see with contact cleaner, and blew the inner workings with air again. Still nothing.

Convinced my controls were corroded and ruined, I went to the other end of the shop to fret over something else. 20 minutes later the machine, which I apparently left ON, started up. it works perfectly.

Whew. catastrophe averted!

I also have that lathe, here's some thoughts. As has been stated, you control everything from the front of the headstock, you have no reason to touch the inverter unless something goes terribly wrong. If you didn't get a manual with it, you can download a pdf version from the Jet website. Given enough use, the on-off switch will eventually go bad. You'll know it when you have to start cycling the switch multiple times to start it up. Now I do have to qualify that a little, if you plug it in you need to wait a few seconds for the inverter to give a click. Once that click happens then you can use it.
    I mentioned the switch, you have 2 basic options, one cheaper than the other. If you buy it through Jet it's something like $90 for the switch, button and some other parts. The other option is to buy the switch on some place like eBay, just get the name and model off the one in your lathe. Did that recently myself, cost around $12 delivered for the exact same physical switch. In fact I expect this one will also die over time, so I bought 2, one to go into the storage box for the future. There are some YouTube videos on replacing the switch.
    As has been mentioned, I unplug mine when not in use. No reason to risk stray electrical charges damaging something, won't happen if it's not plugged in.
    Hope you like your lathe, congrats.
    Last edited by Paul Haus; 04-25-2020 at 2:44 PM.

Fixing a switch

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haus View Post
    I mentioned the switch, you have 2 basic options...
    There is a third option that I used on the switch that failed on my Jet 1642. It came down with the same symptoms you described. I removed and disassembled it and found that fine sawdust had gotten inside somehow and was preventing the contacts from making good connection. The fix was quick (would have been quicker if I hadn't dropped the tiny detent ball bearing into the sawdust on the floor!) and it's worked perfectly since, over 10 years. After cleaning out the dust, I lubricated the contacts with a thin smear of dielectric grease (as I always do) then sealed the outside of the switch with plastic wrap and silicon caulk to keep out any further dust.

If Jet has changed their design perhaps the fine dust is no longer the problem. If so and the switch fails, it's is likely the contact points. The same fix applies: remove, disassemble, clean and lube the contacts. I've fixed a BUNCH of switches this way. Another failure mode is breaking a mechanical part. This may be best fixed with a replacement, unless you hare handy with repairing or fabricating small parts.

Note that some switches are difficult to open since the bodies are riveted or glued/electronically welded. I don't let this stop me.

JKJ

You have a variable frequency drive on that lathe. It does much more than convert single phase to 3 phase. https://www.ato.com/frequency-conver...requency-drive
    Also don't be confused between the Delta VFD and Delta Machinery, 2 different companies..

I'd like to revisit this topic, but with an added technology question. As long as my machine (to refresh the info offered earlier, it's a 2 HP, 220-V Jet 16-42) is plugged in there's a fan that goes on in the inverter box. Is that standard? I have a friend with the same lathe and his inverter fan never turns on, so one of ours is akilter.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Lightning can come either on the hot or ground legs and destroy the VFD. Better to disconnect via a plug after using the lathe rather than throw a breaker like some turners like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    I'd like to revisit this topic, but with an added technology question. As long as my machine (to refresh the info offered earlier, it's a 2 HP, 220-V Jet 16-42) is plugged in there's a fan that goes on in the inverter box. Is that standard? I have a friend with the same lathe and his inverter fan never turns on, so one of ours is akilter.
    Jet left out the fan on a lot of those machines, it’s simply missing. Probably left it off to save a few bucks.

My two 1642s have no fans. The vfd on one failed. Some people have added fans which I think is a good idea. I think there is a parameter in the programming that controls the fan function but it’s been a long time since i’ve looked at it.

JKJ