Thread: Best 1” arbor Amana dado set for dado’ing only in hardwood?

Best 1” arbor Amana dado set for dado’ing only in hardwood?

Due to the shutdown I am not working at my normal job so I am starting to help a family member out at a small cabinet shop that he owns. He has several table saws setup for different purposes, and just scored a nice second hand Powermatic 72. He wants to put a dado blade and a feeder on it and use it for dado’ing face frame parts. This way he can set the fence and never have to move it. He is looking to get an Amana dado set for this and asked my opinion on which one would be best for dado’ing solid wood mostly maple. He is set on getting an Amana. His PM 72 has a 1” arbor. Can anyone tell me if he should get the 8” Amana that has more teeth or less teeth? This will never touch any plywood only hardwood so I was thinking about their model with 24 teeth or less? Their 658060 i believe has either 42 teeth or 24 teeth and their 658040 and 658030 have 24 teeth both in a 1” bore. The 658060 is only about $40 more than the other models but would that be worth it?

I would consider an adjustable groover for a shaper as well....Rod

Amana makes dado sets with positive tooth angle, and with negative tooth angle. Positive tooth angle cuts will cut better on your hardwood. Negative tooth angle is optimized for minimized chip-out on veneer, but trades away good performance on hardwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Amana makes dado sets with positive tooth angle, and with negative tooth angle. Positive tooth angle cuts will cut better on your hardwood. Negative tooth angle is optimized for minimized chip-out on veneer, but trades away good performance on hardwood.
    Thanks for the clarity. I wasn’t sure what to tell him but now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I would consider an adjustable groover for a shaper as well....Rod
    +1

I have a 12” adjustable groover that I use in place of a dado stack. Cut quality is much better with the groover then what I get with a dado stack. You don’t have to send the adjustable groover out for sharpening either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    +1

I have a 12” adjustable groover that I use in place of a dado stack. Cut quality is much better with the groover then what I get with a dado stack. You don’t have to send the adjustable groover out for sharpening either.
    Does the adjustable groover go on the table saw in leu of a dado set? Or are you referring to doing the dado’s on a shaper? I know that he wants to set his PM 72 up as a dedicated dado machine strictly for dado’ing face frames which is a 1/2” groove. He uses only 1/2” sheet goods. He wants a set it and forget it type deal.

I use the 12” (300mm) groover on a RAS with a 1” arbor. My tablesaw doesn’t have the capacity for that groover. I see no reason why you couldn’t use it on a tablesaw that was big enough to handle it. You can get 200mm adjustable groovers that should work in place of a 8” dado stack. One thing to watch for is the rated RPM. The 300mm groover I have is rated for 2500 min to 4000 max rpm which is perfect for my 3450 rpm saw.

I believe Rod uses his adjustable groover on his tablesaw.