Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offshore Bits

Offshore Bits

I've just made my last purchase of router bits from China. Up until now they have been ok for my purposes. But not this time. I am in the process of building a nice cabinet for the bathroom wall for storage. I put in a brand new flush trim bit to flush trim the face frame. Within 6 inches of the cut, the bearing exploded gouging my work. Thankfully, that side will be against the wall, but still slightly visible. It had me gun shy about using the round over bit from the same kit. I wound up using my block plane to trim with. BTW, just ordered a Whiteside. Hopefully will have better luck with it.
    Others have always told me to buy only the bits that you need and buy quality. I do believe they are right.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Like anything, there are good products and there are not good products, regardless of the source. I buy a lot of tooling, comparatively speaking, for my CNC machine. While some of it is name brand like Amana and Whiteside (I use the latter's compression cutters), some other is less known but USA produced and some is import from Asia, but "known" brands like Yonco. I do avoid "totally no-name and cheap" cutters for the most part, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I hate to say it but the bit that broke was a Yonco. That being said, I have many of their bits and this is the only one that has given me a problem. They really do not hold their edge too well compared to the higher end uSA brands. Live and Learn.

SWE

Flush trim bits are one of the ones where it's essential to have a quality product. The fit and size of the cutting edge and its relationship to the bearing are ultra critical. The bearing has to have high precision too. This is where the money is in a flush trim bit, not the super duper carbide or in the ultra fine grinding.

All Chinese bits aren't junk, but some certainly are. Trying to save a buck or two when you need a "money" cut the first time is a fools errand. Even if you value your time at zero , the cost materials you're working with far exceed the value of any savings on the cheap bit. I find cheap bits are the ticket for cutting or edging OSB framing, or for plywood projects like Scouting cookboxes, or rounding over Pressure Treated table and chairs. Use em and throw em away after the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Jim, I hate to say it but the bit that broke was a Yonco. That being said, I have many of their bits and this is the only one that has given me a problem. They really do not hold their edge too well compared to the higher end uSA brands. Live and Learn.
    Given it was new and broke almost immediately, I'd seek a replacement. The really long one I have for cleaning the ends of 2" thick slab tables is a Yonco and it's performed exceptionally well. I guess any brand can have a dud!
    --

Take a closer look - Whiteside made in USA, with bearings stamped CHINA.

I always thought many of the European brands were top quality. Israel seems to make a lot of blades and router bits.
    Bil lD.

I believe you are referring to Yonico router bits. Are they yellow in color? I had a lock miter bit break a few years ago and Yonico sent me a replacement bit as well as an ogee profile as a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reffner View Post
    Take a closer look - Whiteside made in USA, with bearings stamped CHINA.
    That’s the problem, even good bits use Chinese bearings. Hopefully the winds of change are blowing...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
    I believe you are referring to Yonico router bits. Are they yellow in color? I had a lock miter bit break a few years ago and Yonico sent me a replacement bit as well as an ogee profile as a gift.
    Yes...I messed up the spelling in my previous posts.
    --

Blog Entries
    I've had good luck with some off shore bits but, had the same model bit from the same maker fail to do as well. It's no secret I've been banging the Whiteside drum for some time. They don't cost that much more over the life of the bit and their resharpening service is very reasonable (use a flat rate box and send them in by the dozen).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've always had good luck with bits from MLCS Woodworking. Given their prices, I'm sure they are imported. But as long as they work...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I've always had good luck with bits from MLCS Woodworking. Given their prices, I'm sure they are imported. But as long as they work...

MLSC carries three levels of bits. The cheapest are the sets. Their standard bits are a good value, and their Kantana (sp?) are as good as most any name brand. Absolute toughest bit I have ever owned was a $5 Woodcraft 1/4". Use in router trammel. Once cut half the head off a drywall screw holding material in place, No damage to bit, bit screw had a half moon head

I think Freud is made in Italy. people seem to think they are a good brand even if made overseas.
    Bill D

Just received a reply back from Yonico on the problem bit. I was told that the bit sets,(15 & 70 bit sets), are made on a different line than their standard bits and the bearings are not the same. They are going to send me some new bearings for the set. Seems like their CS is up to snuff. I can accept that since this is the first issue I've ever had with their bits, and I have a large inventory of them.

SWE